The Old Folks Home

Mine has a kick back guard but safety glasses are a good idea, even though i wear regular glasses all the time.
Mine's super old and no guards, guess they didn't worry about safety when it was made. It's a Craftsman, all metal no plastic on with a waist high stand, it and runs of a separate motor with a belt and pulley. There isn't even a guard or cover for the belt. I only use it for small stuff I can't cut with a circular saw. I had a chop saw my BIL loaned me but it wasn't very well made, he thought it would be good for our trim work. Beings it was a cheapie and sloppy I didn't use it, miter box and hand saw was a lot more accurate and cleaner cuts.
Told my dad I planned on using that table saw, convert it to a chicken plucker. He looked disgusted and said I couldn't cause it was a antique, he wasn't willing to buy it off me though lol.

Mine has a kick back guard but safety glasses are a good idea, even though i wear regular glasses all the time.
In addition to that one should have feather boards. The kickback guard is usually at the far end and does nothing until the wood gets there and starts under it. It can kick up and back before that, thus the feather boards clamped to the fence to hold the piece down.

Also useful when working with shorter pieces that never get to the anti kick back teeth and when cutting a groove on the underside of the board, not going all the way through. For that you have to have the spitter/anti kick back teeth piece removed.

When we moved in here, Dh went and bought a little John Deere tractor/mower. He became obsessed with it, and would suffer John Deere withdrawal if he went more than 2 days without riding his tractor/mower. Yes, the neighboring men trot out their tractors, mowers, etc., to show them off as well. I had threatened to start a chapter of John Deere Anonymous, to which most of the wives said they'd enroll their husbands.

More recently, Dh installed a camera surveillance system. He studied them for weeks, got everything he needed, and has everything in place. He's spent many hours adjusting, and fine tuning each camera. It's great, but has become his latest obsession.

He's been spending so much time on the camera system, his John Deere obsession began taking over, so he was going to mow the yard, even if there was nothing to mow. He went around the house on his first pass with the John Deere. Every camera started the system beeping, and sending notices to our phones. He came inside, and figured he'd get over 400 notices on his phone, if he mowed the yard. He began pacing the floor, and mumbling about being a prisoner in his own home, and never being able to mow, or do anything outside ever again. I'm cracking up, thinking he's kidding, but he was serious. He settled for taking the garbage can out to the end of the driveway, so there would only be 2 notices. I am watching 2 obsessions cancel each other out, but waiting for his head to explode in the process.

When the grass actually gets long enough to cut, I will introduce him to the solution. The system comes with an OFF button. IF he's outside, he can't watch the cameras anyway, BUT he will be able to see what's going on out there, LIVE, and our phones won't get flooded with notices. When he comes in, he can turn it back ON.

Back
Top Bottom