The Old Folks Home

My birds are starting to lay surprisingly well considering the time of year. I'm getting nearly a dozen a day from them and the number is steadily increasing. No complaints here I froze three gallons of eggs last fall and have one gallon left. I'm really impressed with the frozen eggs. Scrambled them, made omelettes used them in cooking, they tasted great. I'll probably only freeze two gallons worth this winter. My you girls gave me two or three eggs every other day which kept us in fresh eggs, then they petered out and I was getting maybe 4 a week during the bitter cold. Still that was enough for table use.

Just came in from outside where it is thundering and raining. I gave up trying to catch my escapee bantam boys, turned them all loose, rounded up the three standard roosters, tossed them in the bachelor pen (a matter of mathematics. 15 young bantams are harder to catch than thee big clod roosters) told the big girls to brace themselves and beat a hasty retreat. I'll deal with them when I am feeling better and had my fingers in my ears singing LA LA LA LA LA as I walked away. Gawd, you da thought I asked those hens to spend the night with the football team from Animal House.........well in a way I guess I did. OOPS.
I only have 9 hens now and they laid 6 eggs yesterday. Today is 3 so far though. Not bad at all for late winter

actually since the solstice I have been getting a dozen a day now up to 15 which is every bird I have mistakenly moved two banty into the main coop not sure how I ended up with 6 but two will leave this Saturday guess the 4 I bought at the little feed store in Onalaska where all banty already got rid of the two cockerels from it..so will have them one lavender cockerel and my homegrown hen as she roosts all by herself all the time

actually since the solstice I have been getting a dozen a day now up to 15 which is every bird I have mistakenly moved two banty into the main coop not sure how I ended up with 6 but two will leave this Saturday guess the 4 I bought at the little feed store in Onalaska where all banty already got rid of the two cockerels from it..so will have them one lavender cockerel and my homegrown hen as she roosts all by herself all the time
:weeIt is great that we are moving into the time of year when the hens lay more eggs!

Sizzles, frizzles, showgirls.

I am hoping the person I theoretically traded needlework this winter for ayam cemani eggs this spring comes through. I have found that people's word is not what it used to be. If I say I'm going to do something it is done. Not so for others .
Sizzies, frizzies, and showies! Wow, you are going all the way out on the freakie limb! :gig
The dozen Ayam Cemani eggs I had shipped from MO for the Easter Hatchalong last year yielded four adults, 3 males, 1 female. Two males were sold. The female, only 10 months old, has been broody for 2 weeks! There is still too much winter left for hatching chicks now. I am going to separate her and see if I can break her. I'll be keeping her separate and hope to get some pure eggs for hatching later this summer.

Sizzies, frizzies, and showies! Wow, you are going all the way out on the freakie limb! :gig
The dozen Ayam Cemani eggs I had shipped from MO for the Easter Hatchalong last year yielded four adults, 3 males, 1 female. Two males were sold. The female, only 10 months old, has been broody for 2 weeks! There is still too much winter left for hatching chicks now. I am going to separate her and see if I can break her. I'll be keeping her separate and hope to get some pure eggs for hatching later this summer.
The Easter hatch a long is running now!

No EHAL for me this year. The timeline won't work for me.
Will you be doing a run-down so I can follow along without reading 100s of pages?
I might! Currently it is quite slow.

The past couple of years the hatch a longs have been getting smaller. I think it has to do with all the monthly hatch a longs running all the time

I wish I could eat.

Sitting down to a bowl of cream of wheat. DH is enjoying a steak sandwich and fries. Stomach didn't like the chicken and noodle soup (home made! My tried and proven panacea for stomach viruses) so I'm keeping it simple. Supper, cream of wheat and chocolate pudding and all you guys talking about real food.:hit

I wish I could eat.

Sitting down to a bowl of cream of wheat. DH is enjoying a steak sandwich and fries. Stomach didn't like the chicken and noodle soup (home made! My tried and proven panacea for stomach viruses) so I'm keeping it simple. Supper, cream of wheat and chocolate pudding and all you guys talking about real food.:hit
I hope you feel better soon!

Back
Top Bottom