The Old Folks Home

In the late 60's we were friends with a neighbor family that was very well off. They had a new large color tv set. They were going to be out of town for about 9 months, so asked us to use their tv, so it wouldn't get stolen if their house got broken into while away. There were some tv shows in color by then, mostly prime time, and cartoons. We really enjoyed their set. When they came back, and took their set home, we were spoiled, so my parents saved up and got a 19 inch color set. OH...remember how tv sets had to warm up? I remember the commercials about the first "instant on" tv sets.

OK last one

10. Air raid sirens....

I see some of the poles with the horns on them around town but discontinued...

When we lived in Las vegas they were still doing Atomic testing. And Air Raid drillls. We kids were instructed to get under our desks and clasp our hands around our feet and tuck our heads in. they stopped sometime in the sixties I cant recall what year...

deb

OK last one

10. Air raid sirens....

When we lived in Las vegas they were still doing Atomic testing. And Air Raid drillls. We kids were instructed to get under our desks and clasp our hands around our feet and tuck our heads in. they stopped sometime in the sixties I cant recall what year...

deb

They still use them in the Midwest, for tornadoes.

OK last one

10. Air raid sirens....

deb
We moved from Corning California in 1992. They used the air raid siren to call the volunteer firemen. Our upstairs window faced the pole with the siren on it. My BIL cam to visit and the siren went off at 3am. He jumped bolt up out of bed and started scanning the sky for the mushroom cloud....

:lau

OK last one

10. Air raid sirens....

deb

ours goes off every Wednesday at noon (or is it 1 ? ) for tsunamis.

@penny1960, you bet we are still kickin it. We just aren't kicking as high or as hard as we used to!

@Cynthia12, congratulations on the new grand baby.

We have one of those old air raid sirens mounted outside the MFA on a telephone pole. They use it in town for tornado warnings.

Remember before Micky D's there was Sandy's? Used to go there get a burger, fries and small Coke for 20 cents with a nickle left over for penny candy at the nearby store.

And speaking of penny candy. For a nickle you could get a half a bag of candy if you went with the 10 for a penny varieties.

I'm not old. I just feel privileged to have grown up when I did. I remember when Barbi dolls first hit the market. When we came home from school we got a snack in front of the tv and then booted outside until supper time. In the summer, we were back outside after supper until long after dark. Very few morbidly obese kids like there are today and non insulin dependent diabetes was almost unheard of.

How about when Captain Crunch cereal came out along with Mountain Dew?

I could go on forever.

Happy Daddy Day all you guys out there.

Back
Top Bottom