The Old Folks Home

Last year a deer decimated half of my sweet potato plants. Only thing good about a deer IMHO is that they make wonderful roasts, steaks and sausage!

We have a lot of rabbits also. Right now I have snow fencing around my garden. I'm determined to grow carrots or else!

No @CapricornFarm, no rolling stool. Do they work well on rough ground?
I use either the rolling stool or a regular stool everywhere . Bending over gets old with my back. Some are made of metal, I bet those are sturdier

Also, regarding deer. Conservation guy told us that deer can clear 8 feet without breathing hard. To keep them out of a large area, double fence as high as you can make it and about 4 feet apart. Or...

My favorite. Run clear fishing line around your garden or area that you want to protect. We enclose our orchard with fish line 'fence'. Highest strand at 4 feet and then a strand every 4 feet. It really does work. The deer can't see the line and walk into it. They feel it but don't see it, panic and run away as fast as they can. We will find a few broken strands and repair them but usually after two or three nights no more deer problem.

They cross your property off their all you can eat buffet menu.
I put tall stakes all the way around, and then joined them with wire. I hung up bits of white fabric and aluminum pie plates. Plus there's a hot wire. So far so good.

So far I have carrots, onions, beets and potatoes in the ground.
Too cold to plant anything here yet. In fact they are calling for nearly 3" of snow on Friday.

I even had deer jumping in to eat my bean plants! Had to extend the fence upwards.
They did that to mine one spring got the bean plants and the cucumber plants. I don't recall being very appreciative of them helping in the garden.

Also, regarding deer. Conservation guy told us that deer can clear 8 feet without breathing hard. To keep them out of a large area, double fence as high as you can make it and about 4 feet apart. Or...

My favorite. Run clear fishing line around your garden or area that you want to protect. We enclose our orchard with fish line 'fence'. Highest strand at 4 feet and then a strand every foot. It really does work. The deer can't see the line and walk into it. They feel it but don't see it, panic and run away as fast as they can. We will find a few broken strands and repair them but usually after two or three nights no more deer problem.

They cross your property off their all you can eat buffet menu.
I will need to remember that trick if I move to a place with deer!

I have to admit that I was dubious when I first read about the fishing line 'fence' technique but heck, you can get cheap line for a few bucks. I think it usually takes two spools to do ours. The first night we tried it sure enough, we found broken lines. One of them dragged a good distance from the orchard. We figured a young buck got it tangled in his antlers.

After more damage the next night, no more broken lines and no pilfered fruit.

Now if I could just convince the raccoons not to steal our peaches.......

We did Costco run then by the time I got it all put away I was pooped so ordered Nachos
wonderful restaurant here in town only one that does take out anyway .. the apples in the trees in chickens yard deer jumped the fence for the apples that was fine .. I garden in tires stacked two high cannot bend allot. Theses I do not have to and weeding is zilch

Too cold to plant anything here yet. In fact they are calling for nearly 3" of snow on Friday.
Yep, here too....

But we started some seeds in pots indoors..

A photo from my walk today.

20200408_142115.jpg

Back
Top Bottom