The Old Folks Home

Squash is one of the things I can grow here just by tossing the seeds in the soil and walking away from them.
I grew a giant butternut plant in my compost bins this year. I didn't do anything, must be there were some seeds in the pile somewhere. Got one ripe one for sure (made into squash, apple, onion soup) and a bunch I'm not sure of. Might make OK soup, maybe not as good for baked (which I don't like anyway).

I grew a giant butternut plant in my compost bins this year. I didn't do anything, must be there were some seeds in the pile somewhere. Got one ripe one for sure (made into squash, apple, onion soup) and a bunch I'm not sure of. Might make OK soup, maybe not as good for baked (which I don't like anyway).
the tomatoes did good in the compost, trans planted one that grew a fruit or 2,

I love hanging with the hens in you yard doing pruning, weeding, etc. They follow me like a shadow. Only time they disappear is for a nice dust bath. They are spoiled and pretty much hand fed. Meal worms, avacado, corn, cracked corn, sunflower seeds, small amount of left over cat food. Layer feed is frowned upon by them ( it may be rancid?) My oldest hen is lame, so I carry her everywhere in a card board box and help her free range with the other two. Three is my healthy limit for my income and attention.

Back
Top Bottom