The Phippy Flock

Phippy

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2021
Our flock began last year when my son asked for chickens for his 9th birthday. We did some research, and since we suddenly had time at home (here's one benefit to the covid quarantines), we let him pick up 4 chicks. He raised them up with tons of love and produced 4 lap-chickens. So... here are our ladies now:

Cutie Patootie, an Amberlink, who is my son's favorite. She is the resident head-snuggle hen. She will happily fall asleep on you if you giver her time to.
20210624_132453.jpg
20210702_105644.jpg

Sir-Pecks-A-Lot "Peckish", our Barred Rock, who earned her name many times over and is the boss-lady.
20210624_131818.jpg

Tigger, our Barnevelder, who is our sweet independent girl.
20210624_133133.jpg

Our fourth original girl, Miss Nugget Fryerson, our Wyandotte, was sadly killed in a raccoon attack about two months ago. We miss her. The attack was very shocking. The coon peeled open the plywood side of the coop.
117715726_3732885876739479_4248663879823053879_n.jpg

About 9 months after getting the original four, my other kid insisted that she wanted her OWN chicken for her birthday, so we found Phoenix "FiFi", our crested cream leg bar. She was about 8 months old when we got her and has developed into a beautiful little hen. She is a bit more skittish than the others (not hand raised) but is sweet as can be once she is in arms.
20210624_131648.jpg

Finally, after the loss of Nugget this spring, we shored up the coop and decided we needed some new babies. Brought home two (should be more but we live in a 6-chicken-limit city)
This is Pippington Squeak (Pip), our new speckled sussex, and Mini Dumpling (Dumpling), our gold polish. Pip is an adventurer, and will probably be challenging for boss-lady status one day. Dumpling on the other hand will walk over and climb into any waiting lap. They're about 5 weeks old in these pictures.
20210624_132135.jpg
20210701_091501.jpg

The babies aren't out with the big girls yet except for limited supervised free range time. We're looking forward to seeing them grow.

Last edited:
Our flock began last year when my son asked for chickens for his 9th birthday. We did some research, and since we suddenly had time at home (here's one benefit to the covid quarantines), we let him pick up 4 chicks. He raised them up with tons of love and produced 4 lap-chickens. So... here are our ladies now:

Cutie Patootie, an Amberlink, who is my son's favorite. She is the resident head-snuggle hen. She will happily fall asleep on you if you giver her time to.
View attachment 2748423View attachment 2748424

Sir-Pecks-A-Lot "Peckish", our Barred Rock, who earned her name many times over and is the boss-lady.
View attachment 2748427

Tigger, our Barnevelder, who is our sweet independent girl.
View attachment 2748430

Our fourth original girl, Miss Nugget Fryerson, our Wyandotte, was sadly killed in a raccoon attack about two months ago. We miss her. The attack was very shocking. The coon peeled open the plywood side of the coop.
View attachment 2748431

About 9 months after getting the original four, my other kid insisted that she wanted her OWN chicken for her birthday, so we found Phoenix "FiFi", our crested cream leg bar. She was about 8 months old when we got her and has developed into a beautiful little hen. She is a bit more skittish than the others (not hand raised) but is sweet as can be once she is in arms.
View attachment 2748437

Finally, after the loss of Nugget this spring, we shored up the coop and decided we needed some new babies. Brought home two (should be more but we live in a 6-chicken-limit city)
This is Pippington Squeak (Pip), our new speckled sussex, and Mini Dumpling (Dumpling), our gold polish. Pip is an adventurer, and will probably be challenging for boss-lady status one day. Dumpling on the other hand will walk over and climb into any waiting lap. They're about 5 weeks old in these pictures.
View attachment 2748445View attachment 2748446

The babies aren't out with the big girls yet except for limited supervised free range time. We're looking forward to seeing them grow.
Yes..wonderful for kids to raise chicks and chickens..so happy for you!

Pip has started growing very roostery saddle feathers and probably need to head to a new home soon, and well, "chicken math".....so we've added two more babies:
Snuggles, a Black Laced Red Wyandotte and Linguini Noodles, a Russian Orloff. They're about 3 weeks old.
20210818_155927 (2).jpg

IMO kids need this type of experience growing up. You are giving your kiddos such a beautiful gift! Great job, and your chickens are gorgeous! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom