The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also share my condolences and shock. There are no words for losses such as these.

You'll value and really watch over those three remaining K's. Yes, such setbacks are so dang discouraging. I almost gave up on my Reds project a few years back. Between a horrid Coccidiosis virulent outbreak and a stupid pitbull attack.

Through some friends' help and a little time, the heart slowly heals and hope returns. Cats are among the most vicious killers and have the weight and muscle to really bully their way through the defense systems.

Again, I'm so sorry Marcy. I hope this dark night passes soon for you.

Thank you Fred and @speckledhen . A predator that takes a few and eats what they take is a lot easier to deal with mentally than one that causes such carnage. I hate the waste, as well. Put out some feelers to see if anybody wanted the carcasses to feed to their dogs, but no takers. I've got the trap set but with 6 birds hauled off, not sure it will be back this soon unless it is really greedy.
Besides the 3 young cockerels, I have 3 GSBR cock birds. I had to dispatch the Duckworth cock, he is in my freezer. Tried to jump at me one time too many. Bad disposition, that one. But all my GSBR cocks have leaning combs/thumbprint combs. I read somewhere that this can also be caused by too high a brooding temp. versus caused by genetics. Does anybody know if that is true? Because I might be guilty of keeping them too warm in the brooder.

I haven't posted here in a while. If you remember, I was trying two outcrosses with the Good Shepard line of BR, one with a Duckworth male and one with a Stukel male. Well today was a huge setback. Something, probably bobcat, dug under the pen last night that housed all the cockerels of those crosses plus the Stukel sire. 4-5 month old birds, 31 of them killed including the cock. 6 were gone, hauled off to eat presumably, so I have to dispose of 25 birds. Must be about 100 pounds. Somehow 3 survived, 2 out of the Stukel male and 1 out of the Duckworth male. Now instead of having many to choose from, I have 3. This is just so discouraging.

The bobcat trap will be set and waiting until the culprit is caught.

In the meantime, I am super paranoid. That poultry house has been in operation for over 2 years with no breach. All the rocks and hard soil have now proved to be not enough of a deterrent to digging, so I'm going to have to buy more welded wire and line perimeters horizontally in all the places where that hasn't already been done. Looking around for all the weak spots.
So very sorry to hear about this. That was one determined bobcat. Hope you get him. At least you didn't lose all of them. Sad.
sad.png

For all of you that currently breed the barred and also the white rocks which one would you say produces a better eating carcass.

We eat about 200 chickens a year between the family and our 3 dogs. We will have to butcher 50 birds or so every 3 months.

So assuming a 50/50 hatch ratio we will have to hatch at least 400 birds a year. We want to keep at least 100 layers most of the time for eggs and stewing hens once they stop laying.

We are in fl zone 9b so can hatch out most of the year. I know at first it will take time to build out the size flock we want but want to do it right.

For all of you that currently breed the barred and also the white rocks which one would you say produces a better eating carcass.

We eat about 200 chickens a year between the family and our 3 dogs. We will have to butcher 50 birds or so every 3 months.

So assuming a 50/50 hatch ratio we will have to hatch at least 400 birds a year. We want to keep at least 100 layers most of the time for eggs and stewing hens once they stop laying.

We are in fl zone 9b so can hatch out most of the year. I know at first it will take time to build out the size flock we want but want to do it right.
Lefty

If you are planning a flock that can sustain your family with both meat and eggs, unfortunately, I'd be looking at a breed other than Rocks. SLOW to mature, slow to reach POL. Just my opinion.

I only have experience with the barred and I am happy with the amount of time. It gives the meat real chicken flavor. I have raised the cornish, freedom Rangers but they do not fit my program. I know they achieve a nice carcass a lot faster but the meat is bland and mushy to me. I will be totally dependable on purchasing from a hatchery to renew my stock every year.Its not a sustainable model to me.

What draws me to the rocks even though they take at least twice as long to even reach a nice carcass size is that they are sustainable. I won't have to depend on a hatchery , they forage for most of their food in return they Consume less feed. I will also be helping to preserve a breed that many of you grew up with and I did not have the opportunity of doing so because I was born in the generation that thinks food originates from a grocery store. I want to be able to share with my kids when when I do have some what real meat is suppose to feel and taste like , produced in a sustainable manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom