Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
I convinced my husband that I can justify having more chickens because chicken feed costs less than fertilizer. Therefore if I have more chicken poop, and I compost it, we won't have to buy fertilizer for the garden and it's organic. (organic fertilizer is $$$$$$$)

Well, it worked, and he bought me a compostumbler and he will be building me another coop in the spring.
woot.gif

That is whow my addiction started. I had read that chicken poop was the best organic fertilizer so instead of buying poop I bought the whole darn poop machine.
big_smile.png
Now I am up to fifteen poop machines with plans to add more in the spring. Funny thing is that in addition to fertilizer the machines give some pretty tasty eggs!
wink.png

Quote:
Can I borrow you husband for a week or two? I need a new coop, too, and a composter would be great!

gig.gif

SO . . . to make this a better justification, for each 1,000 square feet of vegetable garden, how many chickens are needed to produce enough fertilizer? Or is there an N-P-K per bird per month figure?

Last edited:
Quote:
It's "supposed" to make compost in 14 days vs the 1 year it would take to break down in the heap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
You laugh...............................but................................my garden is 40 feet by 80 feet.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
So I NEED LOTS of chickens!

Back
Top Bottom