The Sizzle Thread!

Pics
Thank you so much. The porcelains were a happy accident. When I brought all birds back from Western Nationals in Jan. I put them all into quarantine together, including Swiffer the Sizzle cockerel & a beautiful blue splash cockerel. The hens & pullets were a mix of colors & included Frilkies, Sizzles & Silkies - all show quality. I didn't worry about Swiffer & getting double frizzies because I thought he was really too young to breed. I watched him trying but most effort was aimed at the girl's heads so figured nothing would get accomplished. Since the splash boy was older I decided to incubate the eggs to see what colors I would get. Well, Swiffer is apparently a fast learner because I got 4 porcelain Sizzles - the smooth boy, frizzled girl & 2 other girls with double gene. Not really bad though - feathers not too brittle & they should produce more frizzled chicks so I'm going to match them with the smooth boy.

My 3 partridge Sizzles are all girls. I would love to see your partridge & porcelains. Did you post them on here somewhere? I don't get on very often so I may have missed them.

I don't ship chicks but I have been selling quite a few of the Sizzle hatching eggs so if you want to fill your bator, let me know! Please use my email instead of pm. It's [email protected].

Also, thanks for taking the time to post those pictures showing the difference between Sizzles, Silkies, & Frizzled Silkies. I'll bet that really helped with all the confusion.
As of right now, I only have my blue partridge frizzle hen who is going through a HARD molt at the moment. I'll try to get some pics of her when it dries out, but she's half bald! You'll have to promise not to laugh! I'll be picking up 2 other sizzle hens from my stepdad this weekend, so that should really help me out with my project. One is a partridge, and one is black. He doesn't understand the genetics of it all and who to breed to what. I figured the pictures would help because even I get confused trying to explain it to people. It's really hard to grasp without a picture attached!

Do your eggs ship well? I usually don't order eggs if they have more than about 500 miles worth of traveling to do. I've never really had good luck with them and hate spending a lot of money gambling on their safe arrival. If it's over 500 miles away I try to trade eggs with people. That way all I am out is the shipping costs if they arrive scrambled!

My porcelains are very young, as well as some of my partridges. Right now I have 1 blue partridge sizzle hen, a partridge silkie hen, and a blue partridge silkie hen. All are being covered by my buff silkie rooster at the moment. It's tough to find decent silkies down here! I'd like to have a nice partridge roo, but I just haven't found one around here yet. I will most likely have to buy one and have him flown in.

This is a pic of my blue partridge silkie hen. The sizzle hen is looks almost identical in color and quality although she has the sizzled feathers.

What is the average price you all get for sizzle chicks? I find that most people down here don't want to pay much of anything for silkies/sizzles. In order to get a good price I usually have to ship mine, or travel to the opposite end of the state to their swap!

Well, here's my thinking. If you are just starting a sizzle project and plan to do sizzles over silkies, it is easier to find one sizzle rooster than a bunch of sizzle hens. You could put your sizzle rooster over a whole flock of silkie hens and get the same results as having a silkie roo over sizzle hens. Here are a few pics of the babies I've been hatching. These came from my buff silkie rooster over blue partridge sizzle hen: I think the second one, and the last one are both going to be knockouts!
hey i found some really nice buff silkies near me but im gonna havee to get hatvhing eggs:( so if i do do that do u have an extra budff sizzle roo?

Gracie, I promise not to laugh! Well, at least not too much. Believe me, I have enough Sizzles that I've probably seen the worst of the bad molts.

Your partridge Silkie is really nice & she should give you some beautiful chicks. You're also doing a great job with your buffs. I haven't even started on buffs yet. They're a really hard color to do well even in Silkies, let alone the Sizzles. You're a lot braver than I am!

As for prices - I've been selling my Sizzles & Silkies for the same price - $8 each for 2 wk old chicks. I've been showing the Sizzles at all the shows I take my Silkies to so a lot of people see them & I think I'm creating my own market. One of my 6 mo. Sizzle pullets just recently sold on Poultry Bid for $225! Unfortunately, I didn't get the money as the pullet hatched from eggs I had sold to the person that auctioned her. But it was still nice advertising for me. I advertise most of my chicks on Craig's List & I get tons of responses & sell a lot of chicks but I have yet to make a profit. So far it's just an expensive hobby but it sure is a lot of fun.

Trading eggs sounds like fun. Maybe we can talk more about that. Right now I'm ready for bed.

I bought this little one at approx 4 days old at TS. Is this is Fizzle, Sizzle or what? Also is it roo? Thx for any responses :)

Back
Top Bottom