The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did read that stress was a huge part of whether a hen got better or worse...........
Some did better in a dark place by theirselves, and one story the hen was bonded to another so she got too stressed if she was separated from the group.

They MUST be stress free, and kept stress free for at LEAST 2-3 weeks after the neck is "better", before integrating with the flock again, according the the first gal.
Only issue would be heat, if you had a non-heated place for her it would be better. Otherwise it would be a shock going out into the cold in a month............
Like a kennel in a garage... Or a simple 2x2x2 box with 2x2s For the frame of the box with chicken wire all around, and 4- 2x2 peices of ply. One for the bottom and one for the back, then one on each side. THEN you have a chicken hospital for future problems...

All those ideas were good for a plugged chicken. She needs to get off the nest more, though. Otherwise you'll have a repeat of my little rose. :( She wouldn't get off the nest to poo, and in the end it killed her even though i tried. Same breed/size, too. Those banty cochins are determined.

UGH. I wish I had someone here with ocd-type organizational skills lol. I'm trying to clean and organize stuff while Aric is gone but with only one closet and a few dressers and nowhere else to put anything, I'm screwed lol. I really wish we lived in the house next door but i doubt we'll be winning lottery soon to finish fixing it.

Oh well, I'll keep plugging away. This is really difficult to do with a screwed up hand!

Oh, my bf went to Rusty's to give her some vitamins that worked for my animals that had wry neck. Well, it didn't work for a couple but not every animal comes out of it.

Good morning all
frow.gif

Olive, Robin? Suggestions? I have a 13 week old pullet with what I think is WRY NECK. Vet gave me some oral steroids and selenium for her and Keyts' BF is going to drop off some Poly-vitamins for her, She is still eating but head turned and falling over. Anything else I can do? Vet said actually not much hope.
Thanks ladies

I agree with Robin and your vet. I would put the bird down. IMO, prolonging suffering for the small possibility of our own emotional benefit just doesn't make sense -- especially from an ethics standpoint.

Just because something can be treated with hope of recovery, doesn't necessarily mean it should be.

*Disclaimer: I've edited this multiple times trying to make sure I don't offend and I'm still not sure I've succeeded in the mildest wording. Everyone please know the tone with which this is written is a kind one.

Last edited:
Well ya'll. I am going to go over to a bud's house and we are going to give my door a jimmy rigging. Oh if only they made duct tape for hinges... I'd be investing! LOL.

Any way. The little chick that I thought for sure was going to not make it, well it still might not, seems to be getting stronger. Criptoe however I think may be suffering a bit of binding... So, yogurt, olive oil and crumbles mashed... what? I swear I have never seen a chicken push so hard to poo. She did finally pass a poo ball, ball, but she darn near fell over doing it. The vent seems fine, I checked. I was worried she'd rupture something... Anyway, with her feet, she's very clutzy getting in and out of the nest box. I removed the nest box, cleaned out all the shavings from the coop, put in fresh and put in the chick feeder and water dish. I am moving all the CS chicks to the 4x8 and the silkie chicks to the grow out coop, and Skeeter and her chick will go into the Bates Motel. I made the partial wall Solid with door that drops down, when open, but locks at the top. I don't think though that it'll be opening much. I figure that will be the perfect spot for Mama's and new chicks. It have a run to it, so... Yeah. Good for chickies.

AND poor Skeeter is molting. OMG! There is a feather explosion in the garage. I thought at first it was from Skeet fighting with the other chickens to stay away, but when I picked her up last night, she left me feather presents. Yup. Poor thing. I hope its not going to be a hard molt... She's got a baby to keep warm. I am going to give a 75 watt heat lamp for her at night till she feathers back out, especially on those nights like last night. BURRR!

Any whoo... SO, If'n you come up to MI for a dog Silver, you gotta bring me them Favs. Not to RBahmer... she has enough. LOL
Hey.....I only have one pair of fav's.
tongue2.gif

I spoke to Gail at length about this last night. She's been doing this a very long time, I know very well she wouldn't prolong suffering she just wants to try as would I.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH

My computer has a mind of it's own.

So, incubators and the tables they were on are put away and now we have about 6 x 4 feet more in our tiny little "living room" again
celebrate.gif

I packed up summer clothes and clothes I don't want anymore to take to the consignment shop. I'm taking things in there often then use the money to buy more stuff lol.

Now to decide if I want to keep all my poultry magazines...

Last edited:

Send the extra magazines this way

I have come to root of my egg problem ... The girls that aren't molting are laying ...everyone is eating the. Eggs !!!!!! What if anything can I do ??? I caught them in the act today ...all of them :(

They get oyster shell...should I up the amount maybe ??? Also noticed today I have 2 hens missing...I think neighbor that stole the wire came back n got a couple of chickens... It's frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom