**The State killed all my friends birds!!**

Okay, I did a little more searching. I still can't find a direct link to stories about the case in Missouri, but I have seen some sites reference an outbreak in Missouri at an exotic bird facility in 1996 so that must be it.

Anyway, here is a good article about the more recent outbreaks...

http://www.birdsnways.com/newcastle/

To quote part of the article..."USDA APHIS reports 3,923,678 birds have been put to death in CA, 269 in AZ and 2,746 in NV, 1,871 in TX, a total of 3,928,564. Number of positive premises - 920 CA, 1 AZ, 10 NV, 1 TX, total 932."

So, almost 4 million birds killed! I can't think of any other disease where they put down whole flocks like this.

Quote:
What is the logic behind that? I am missing something.

I can answer this one by saying when you give away or sell any bird you have no way of knowing what it has been exposed too.
In other words if i allow a bird back it also brings all the germs and or virus's it was exposed to at it's new home.

I have a strict policy to all who buy my birds there is no guarantee or refund on them and i do not except birds returned.
I will tell them if they ask that i have no way of knowing how they are treated or what they are exposed to.

So this protects me and my flock

Absolutely right. Once a bird leaves my place, I cannot know what it is exposed to, even in the cage they take it home in. So, I will not take back any birds after they leave my driveway. I am very cognizant of disease issues. Never had any respiratory illness here and I'm trying to keep it that way because I'd rather not have to cull my pets.

I have this problem now. I brought two birds here to butcher. One roster & one hen. The hen he calmed was a egg eater but he had given me a hen for a roster before so I decided to kill the roo & observe the hen. I found that the hen was severely dehydrated & not laying. I have had her for a week & she is still not laying. Both birds also smelled very foul & so did there feces which is much better since they have been at my place but I don't know what to do with her now. I hate to destroy her mainly because I want to know if I brought something here but I don't want her around my birds.

I have only had her a week & she seems much better. What caused the bad smell though? I have been giving here meds in here water. When is it safe to introduce her to the flock or should I?

I wish I would have never got this bird but I did so I need to figure out what to do with her now.

Any suggestions are welcome. Just PM me.

"Edited because of spelling."

Last edited:
I am guessing you are saying their feces smells bad? Not their fetus? I am not sure if you mean they did give you some eggs at first and their embryos died?

If you meant to say feces, whenever I hear someone say they smell really bad feces, I automatically think of Parvovirus. I known their is an Avian Parvovirus, but I have never had any experience with it. Actually, I have worked with exotic birds with Proventricular Dilation Disease and many of them also had a very foul smelling feces, almost like a sour smell for lack of a better description.

I'm sure it could be caused by a number of things really, probably even just a bacterial infection of some sort. Maybe someone else will have others ideas as well.

Quote:
You was right about my typo. I don't why the smell so bad but the bird & the poop had the same smell to them. I guess the smell of the bird was from the bad smelling poop. After being here for three days & taking medication in her water she seem fine now. The bad smell went away & poop looks moist again. Where before it was dry & more like rabbit poop. I don't think I have ever seen a bird so dehydrated.

I have a question? we eat our own eggs and give some to friends.
now if as said here, and I read it correct
eggs can transmitte disease from chx to chix?
can this get to humans eating the egg.?

Back
Top Bottom