The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
I know it's hard to see...but, starting towards the top is the change.
comb I agree. Crest I was like something is wrong. Did your line come from Louisiana? If so I know who your talking about. I see you have clear toe nails. When I've had a few they usually have turned black by that age. I'm guessing they are 3 weeks old. Pam

Last edited:
Colb I agree. Crest I was like something is wrong. Did your lying come from Louisiana? If so I know who your talking about. I see you have clear toe nails. When I've had a few they usually have turned black by that age. I'm guessing they are 3 weeks old.
Pam
That little guy will be three weeks on Easter. His toes are dark he has a few clear nails. They will darken. I have about 17 birds I hatched in the last from this combination and the majority are beautiful. I am definitely getting what I want from my Hona's. ( I was trying to get rid of any pink toes, that white sprig on the wing, any mulberry combs, flop combs etc...) But, I did buy a breeding pair from Ewe Crazy that are the most beautiful birds I have ever seen and they are a bit different than the amazing birds I have from Greenfire and my even other breeder. So, I am very confident about this bird line going forward. I also have four perfect roosters from each of these sources and females also. I have invested so much in this breed with time and funds I hope others are as interested in the Hona too.

I have been pulling my Ewe Crazy hen out of the nesting box for a solid month now...Any of you have a broody hona?

That little guy will be three weeks on Easter.  His toes are dark he has a few clear nails. They will darken. I have about 17 birds I hatched in the last from this combination and the majority are beautiful. I am definitely getting what I want from my Hona's. ( I was trying to get rid of any pink toes, that white sprig on the wing, any mulberry combs, flop combs etc...) But, I did buy a breeding pair from Ewe Crazy that are the most beautiful birds I have ever seen and they are a bit different than the amazing birds I have from Greenfire and my even other breeder.  So, I am very confident about this bird line going forward.   I also have four perfect roosters from each of these sources and females also. I have invested so much in this breed with time and funds I hope others are as interested in the Hona too. 

I have been pulling my Ewe Crazy hen out of the nesting box for a solid month now...Any of you have a broody hona?

I'm doing the same its rained here like crazy so Eggs were left for two days. Sure enough broody. I'm going to let her hatch them. Pam

That little guy will be three weeks on Easter. His toes are dark he has a few clear nails. They will darken. I have about 17 birds I hatched in the last from this combination and the majority are beautiful. I am definitely getting what I want from my Hona's. ( I was trying to get rid of any pink toes, that white sprig on the wing, any mulberry combs, flop combs etc...) But, I did buy a breeding pair from Ewe Crazy that are the most beautiful birds I have ever seen and they are a bit different than the amazing birds I have from Greenfire and my even other breeder. So, I am very confident about this bird line going forward. I also have four perfect roosters from each of these sources and females also. I have invested so much in this breed with time and funds I hope others are as interested in the Hona too.

My hens typically go broody about once per year on average. From what I understand, this is average for Svart Hona. They are good setters and mothers

My hens typically go broody about once per year on average. From what I understand, this is average for Svart Hona. They are good setters and mothers
I am ready to get hatching but she needs to lay me some eggs! LOL Any tricks for breaking this breed? She's so mad at me for taking her out of the box every day.

Could you tell my hens that they are only supposed to go broody once a year, please? If once a year is average, then a couple of my girls should be good for about the next 5 years!
th.gif
lau.gif

Well if you don't let them sit and actually hatch, there is a higher chance they will become broody again in the near future :)
Awe nuts. I just moved them into a new coop. So, they are upset right now. They were on a laying strike anyways and I needed to get them down to my new house. Can I stick an egg under her about to hatch and would that do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom