The "Vorwerk" thread!

I am so excited about this breed, they are nearly impossible to find here in the US but I absolutely love them! I recieved 6 babies on Saturday, ranging in age from 1 week- 2 weeks. I lost 2 of the 1 week olds today.... to much stress maybe? I am hoping I don't loose anymore! My problem is, with as impossible as they are to find in the US I am sure the quality of these birds is not good. I can tell by their fluff color that they are not what they should be. What would you suggest to breed with them to increase quality? and does anyone know of a way to import birds to the US? Thank you in advance for your help!
Are your babies bantams or standard size?

mine are standard
Since you are in the states, you don't have vorwerks. In the US vorwerks only come in bantam size and are unrelated to the bantam vorwerks over seas. Yours are golden lakenvelders, which makes it easier for you to find different blood to cross into your birds. There are a few differences between a vorwerk and golden lakenvelder, color being the easiest to see. Good luck with your birds.
smile.png

I don't have Golden Lakenvelders, mine are Vorwerks. There are some imported Vorwerks in the US just not many, I bought standard Vorwerks from Greg Mignot, in Virgina. He imported his birds from A & J Poultry in Somerset UK. I just want to introduce new stock and improve color and type.

Last edited:
If anyone is curious about a few Vorwerk crosses/mixes/hybrids... We've had a mixed flock with a Vorwerk rooster and he's fathered four chickens into adulthood and two chicks (pullet and cockerel).

Two roos, both with Hedemora mothers:
Black:

and Silver:

These three all belong to a mother who is a cream crested legbar/bantam buff wyandotte mix.
Unlike her mother, this hen does no lay green eggs. Her feather down is dark grey, it's very pretty!

The two younger siblings:

the pullet lacks the legbar bonnet. The cockerel is... odd looking but we love him. Too bad he didn't inherit the smokey grey legs

Finally, there's this beauty, with a Brahma mother.

Hi Henk.
I am looking to breed chicken to get this kind of colour type, head and tail in same, body in other. But i want cherry red head and tail, but white body.
Like RhodeIslandRed coulour head and tail, and just white body.
Is it possible? RIR, Lakenvelder, Vorwerk mixing..

Does anyone know of a breeder in the United States who sells breeder quality Vorwerk chicks (Bantam or Large Fowl) who does not have a high minimum chick order or charge a ton for shipping? I found a very reputable breeder in Michigan, who only charges $5 per chick (shipping included), but he requires a 25 chick minimum and I just won't have room for that many chicks with my other chick order this spring. I also found a breeder in Wisconsin, but they charge $10 per chick, plus $10 for the box, plus another $60 to ship chicks. I am located in Michigan. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a breeder in the United States who sells breeder quality Vorwerk chicks (Bantam or Large Fowl) who does not have a high minimum chick order or charge a ton for shipping? I found a very reputable breeder in Michigan, who only charges $5 per chick (shipping included), but he requires a 25 chick minimum and I just won't have room for that many chicks with my other chick order this spring. I also found a breeder in Wisconsin, but they charge $10 per chick, plus $10 for the box, plus another $60 to ship chicks. I am located in Michigan. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!
For bantam Vorwerks Trevor Nau, from MN, is the only other one that I'm aware of. Email me if you would like his phone number.
Terry Lund is probably the one in WI that you mentioned.

I have 5 different genetic breeding pairs of Vorwerks (standard size). I am trying to build up my flock from some imported lines I brought in from Europe. I may have some extra chicks I can sell if you are still interested.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom