davidfchickens

Chirping
Oct 5, 2020
I have 6 BO pullets at age 18 weeks. About three are scrawnier, with bright red waddles that have developed quite a bit, and do a squat when I pet them sometimes. The others are bigger pullets, and from my understanding, won’t be as good of egg layers. Any tips/prep, things I should be doing, feed recommendations? They are on 20% right now, and I’m waiting to drop it to an egg laying feed when they actually start. They get lots of healthy snacks as well as corn for the cold winters. This is my first time and I’m so excited! Er egg-cited I should say! ..wow that was horrible, anyways thanks!

David

I kept mine on the 20% protein all flock pellets, with OS and egg shell on the side. I have a cockerel, and the 20% lets me give them some treats without worrying about the protein content.

But, oh man! The waiting for the first egg! Good luck. The bright red wattles and squatting are good signs!

You want that calcium, that layer feed provides, BEFORE they drop an egg because you want a good egg, not a splat/non-shelled egg. All flock/Flock raiser (sounds like you are doing that now with the 20% protein) and oyster shell on the side for free choice and you're golden.
If you are determined to feed them layer feed, I'd go ahead and give it to them as they're at an age where their bodies can handle it before it starts needing it.

You want that calcium, that layer feed provides, BEFORE they drop an egg because you want a good egg, not a splat/non-shelled egg. All flock/Flock raiser (sounds like you are doing that now with the 20% protein) and oyster shell on the side for free choice and you're golden.
If you are determined to feed them layer feed, I'd go ahead and give it to them as they're at an age where their bodies can handle it before it starts needing it.

Just an anecdote, but I didn't give my chickens layer feed or any form of supplemental calcium until AFTER the first egg appeared. The first eggs they laid were perfect; very hard shells and beautiful, ready to eat. As soon as they laid, I provided egg shells at will and oyster shell at will, both.

Sounds good. I will probably buy a bag of oyster shells to hold me over, then when the laying is consistent, I’ll get later feed. This forum is so helpful and fun! Thanks everyone, and to the person reading this, add you thoughts! Trust me, you can never have too much info on chickens.

I wrote and sang a song for my girls. (To the tune of Harry Chapin's I Wanna Learn A Love Song.)

I wanna hear the egg song,
What a happy thing!
Won't you let me hear you sing?
I want my girls to lay.
Sometime today.

It didn't help a bit.

Back
Top Bottom