The Welsummer Thread!!!!

ohh, i really want a welsummer roo, and my neighbour breeds them and wyandottes but he has his roos in pens of 1 roo to 6 welsummer hens and his hens go bald because of the roo in spring and i only have 1 wellie and 5 Ex-Bats so he said it would be to agressive for my hens, (who sometimes watch TV with me) so i got a golden laced wyandotte bantam hen and roo instead,

BTW i meant to say my hen has a white feather.

I have 6 eggs due to hatch tomorrow.
jumpy.gif
Good Luck
fl.gif

Well my one rebel pullet decided she was gonna roost in the coop and not the pine tree tonight. I think the 30 mph gusts swayed her. Has anyone bred their wellie hens to black birchen or French copper maran roos and if so did you recieve any of the standard hybrid vigor. What were the egg and body traits and markings of such cross? Thank you in advance.

Having white feathers is not a trait you would want to pass on. That is a bird that in my flock that would be destined for freezer camp. Also any rooster that is aggressive towards me or one that is excessively rough with his hens would be headed for the big chill. The hens in my flock show minimal "rooster wear". One trick that will reduce that problem is to blunt a rooster's toe nails. Most damage to a hen's back during mating is caused when the rooster stands on her.

Having white feathers is not a trait you would want to pass on.  That is a bird that in my flock that would be destined for freezer camp.  Also any rooster that is aggressive towards me or one that is excessively rough with his hens would  be headed for the big chill.  The hens in my flock show minimal "rooster wear".   One trick that will reduce that problem is to blunt a rooster's toe nails.  Most damage to a hen's back during mating is caused when the rooster stands on her.

Agreed. I don't show my birds but I do sell hatching eggs so I try to breed towards the standard. White is not something I keep at all. But the lady I sold him to didn't care about white. She just wanted pure blood Welsummer for her hens.

Bought this bucket at Coastal today, I'm going to make a 3 nipple waterer with it, and I love that the handle has the notch out the middle so it will hang straight on a hook in the run, woohoo!

Having white feathers is not a trait you would want to pass on. That is a bird that in my flock that would be destined for freezer camp. Also any rooster that is aggressive towards me or one that is excessively rough with his hens would be headed for the big chill. The hens in my flock show minimal "rooster wear". One trick that will reduce that problem is to blunt a rooster's toe nails. Most damage to a hen's back during mating is caused when the rooster stands on her.
How did you blunt your roo's nails? Use the toenail cutter designed for dogs?

You can also use a dremel tool for rooster's spurs.

Someone mentioned about large dogs' nail cover. Now I don't know who would put pink or red nail covers on their roosters?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom