The Welsummer Thread!!!!

comb size and color can reflect the maturity of the hen. Typically hens need to be closed to maturity before they start laying, so the comb can give you an idea of when that will happen. I think more color than size - but both reflect the age of the bird
I agree, but it is worth noting that birds that live in a very warm/hot environment tend to develop a considerably larger comb (to the point that the end result may be a lopped comb in a single comb bird that should have a straight comb -- even cock birds), and the feed along with the access to natural day light may also affect the coloring, so that pullets at the point of lay may still have rather pale combs. Some show people show birds hatched at different times of the year for shows at certain times, I have been told. I have Welsummer hens who are in a bio-secure insulated barn (no rodents, no wild birds, no access to natural day light) whose combs would be the envy of a Leghorn hen, and their combs were large even when they were pullets though I can't recall if they had "reddened up" by the time they came into lay. Their daughters who have had access to the pasture have a small, straight comb called for in the SOP.
Regards,
Bjorn

This makes sense, now let me ask this. My pullets are the same age, but some have bigger combs than others. Is this a sign that these hens will lay sooner, even though they are the same age?

possibly - think about people - do we all hit puberty at the same age and do we all grow up to be the same size? That's the same thing for chickens, it could be genetic that the one hen just is going to have a bigger comb, but she also may be maturing faster

I agree, but it is worth noting that birds that live in a very warm/hot environment tend to develop a considerably larger comb (to the point that the end result may be a lopped comb in a single comb bird that should have a straight comb -- even cock birds),
I have a question about this - if they develop a larger comb in hot environments, would hatching and growing out birds in the fall and winter help keep the combs smaller?

HI!! Im new to the chicken family :) We have 3 welsummers that we purchased april 1st.. We were told they were a month old. Does anyone know when we should expect some eggs?? Loving our girls!

HI!! Im new to the chicken family :) We have 3 welsummers that we purchased april 1st.. We were told they were a month old. Does anyone know when we should expect some eggs?? Loving our girls!

Depending if their hatchery or from a private breeder. Your hatchery will usually lay around 6months the other up to 8 to 9 months.

Hello again! Here are pics of my two Wellies. Any gender guesses?

What is so difficult on those is that their chest feathers are saying girls - but the first one's comb is saying boy.

I have a few Wellies too - and I had a cross that was from a green egg (Olive Egger) and both of them looked exactly like the Wellies and the BOY had girl chest feathers - but I knew it was a boy because it tried to jump another chick and mate with it - at 6 weeks old. I suspect an OEGB got in the pen with the Green egg layer. That one had girl coloring and a bright red comb and wattles. He has a new home now.

If they are a cross all bets on coloring are off. Only if they are pure Wellies will the chest feathers indicate sex.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom