The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I'm waiting on him to fatten up a bit... This afternoon he puffed up at his brother with the broken toe and my cochin and polish hen put him in his place. That was a funny sight to see.

I've had Wellies for five years. I have been down to one roo for a couple of years but recently bought two pullet chicks who are now about 12 weeks old.

Five years ago, yellow legs on a Welsummer was a no-no; white legs were considered correct. I've noticed that my two pullets have yellow legs and I was disappointed and ready to complain to the breeder.

After reading over some of the newer posts here my question is, are yellow legs the preferred color, now????

I've had Wellies for five years. I have been down to one roo for a couple of years but recently bought two pullet chicks who are now about 12 weeks old.

Five years ago, yellow legs on a Welsummer was a no-no; white legs were considered correct. I've noticed that my two pullets have yellow legs and I was disappointed and ready to complain to the breeder.

After reading over some of the newer posts here my question is, are yellow legs the preferred color, now????
Yellow shanks/legs have always been a requirement in the standards that I am familiar with (Germany, France, the UK, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, and the APA). Who told you that they should have white shanks?

Yellow legs is breed standard. Not a "no no". http://wcna.webs.com/apastandard.htm

I'm back with my definite roos, but are they Welsummers? I bought them as pullets...

One has broken one of his toes and I have gotten attached to him and he is a sweetie. The other is beginning to get aggressive and has to find a new home or go into the stew pot.

Welsummers are quite easy to tell male from females as chicks, so it's too bad that they were sold to you as pullets. But yes that's a rooster but doesn't look quite right, I agree.
Here is a pic of my guy who is just over 5 months.

This is Larry...he was about 3 here.

It was taken a couple of years ago in the summer which is why his wing is a little down.

If my two new pullets end up having nice dark eggs, I'll need a new rooster for breeding.

Quote:
Thanks. I ended up with 17 total.
Congrats!
highfive.gif

This is Larry...he was about 3 here.

It was taken a couple of years ago in the summer which is why his wing is a little down.

If my two new pullets end up having nice dark eggs, I'll need a new rooster for breeding.
He is beautiful!
thumbsup.gif

Sharing my young roo at 15 weeks of age he thinks he is all that and a bowl of meal worms. He struts up like this every so often to let out a crow or to just show off lol. He was a gift to my Dear Hubby who has more than tolerated….he has joined in my chicken craze to tend them while I am away at work. He is still working on his crow, he sounds a bit like a teen age boys changing voice.

Back
Top Bottom