The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Are welsummers late bloomers when it comes to egg laying? Mine is going on 9 months now and still hasn't laid an egg. She looks like a hen that would be laying already, big red comb and wattles, but she's also growing spurs....:/ definitley not a rooster though.

Are welsummers late bloomers when it comes to egg laying? Mine is going on 9 months now and still hasn't laid an egg. She looks like a hen that would be laying already, big red comb and wattles, but she's also growing spurs....
hmm.png
definitley not a rooster though.

Mine (breeder quality) usually begin laying in the 24-34 week range. I did have to wait 11 months for one welsummer pullet to start laying. She laid for a few months, then went broody.

I have a 9month old welsummer too...still not laying(2goldenlace and 2cuckoo-marans, got them all at the same time, started at 6months)but now all are not laying because of the season..... i would say 'yes...late bloomers'...but i hear they have very dark eggs....my cuckoo marans eggs are not that dark, more golden color. Not only has she not laid an egg... she is very mischievous, and gets into everything!!! lots of personality. :)

I think it also depends on what time of year they reach point of lay. They may be mature enough to lay right now.. but the shorter daylight hours are telling their internal clock that its not a good time to lay eggs. This often delays that first egg until the days start getting longer again.

I think it also depends on what time of year they reach point of lay. They may be mature enough to lay right now.. but the shorter daylight hours are telling their internal clock that its not a good time to lay eggs. This often delays that first egg until the days start getting longer again.

Absolutely.

Timing is everything .... still odd though that chickens molt right when it gets cold :) yet... feathers have come back in just in time for the super cold.... timing~
Happy Thanksgiving to all~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom