The Welsummer Thread!!!!

welcome to byc..nice looking birds ..what are your plans for them ..are you thinking of showing them or just having them for the eggs ..
Hi! Thanks!!!

Im having them for their companion, beauty and eggs :) But I still want them to look as the standard says; because that´s what I like and I will be able to get som nice chickens from them as well.

Hi!

I´m from Sweden and I just got med three Welsumer ladies :) I don´t know if they are of good type and I would like to check with you what you think of them! I´m also attaching at photo of an avalible rooster - what do you think of him?

They all are aprox 6 months.

The breeders/showers have pretty much abandoned this thread.....
....if you want SOP info you might try going to this Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/welsummerclubofnorthamerica/
There's some folks from EU there too and they have a group also I think.
I believe the SOP in the US is different than Europe's.

Mixed flock with a new Welsummer baby! Thanks to anyone who replied to newbie questions. I'm sure it is monotonous, but thank you. I think she is my fav along with the Cream Legbar girl. Both so sweet and snuggle bugs too.

I have no Wellsummers but they are at the top of my list to get in the spring! I have already told and showed my wife what the next chickens will be. She said that was fine as long as I get her some Silkies at the same time;)
OH I wish that worked on my husband. We're out of room, so no Polish Crested or Frizzles for me! (*he said no and looked at me like I'm nuts)

Our only Wellie baby. She is the nicest along with the legbar. We make fun of her because she hasn't learned to tuck her wings yet and has this look of "wings are heavy!"

speckled sussex or welsummer
bought some of both from Meyer Hatchery and thanks the POs new shipping rules, lost half my chicks
Meyer's is shipping me new chicks but I have to figure out which ones I lost before they can ship me new ones. I have looked on this thread and the Speckled Sussex one and just can't tell.
Any help would be appreciated. The ones lost had a more yellow breast fluff and were smaller, about half the size of these. The smaller ones had a less defined chipmunk pattern.

These were taken 2/9 the day they arrived.

The first picture is the ones above and the second picture are the ones that died.

Last edited:
bought some of both from Meyer Hatchery and thanks the POs new shipping rules, lost half my chicks

After the shipping fiasco I had last year I am reluctant to have chicks shipped again, but was curious what the PO's new shipping rules are. I know the routes changed so the chicks are spending at least one more full day in transit which is unacceptable to me.

No live animal is allowed in the passenger area of shipping vehicles. Mine arrived in the back of a box truck that was just as cold as it was outside. It is animal cruelty. So no matter if it is cold or hot, these babies were not allowed to ride up front with the driver.

No live animal is allowed in the passenger area of shipping vehicles. Mine arrived in the back of a box truck that was just as cold as it was outside. It is animal cruelty. So no matter if it is cold or hot, these babies were not allowed to ride up front with the driver.
I am against shipping of live chicks. Needless suffering at the hands of humans. I'd rather pay a tad more for onsite hatching, local breeder, or hatching myself.
I hope the rest of her chicks make it ok.

Meyer's is shipping me new chicks but I have to figure out which ones I lost before they can ship me new ones. I have looked on this thread and the Speckled Sussex one and just can't tell.
Any help would be appreciated. The ones lost had a more yellow breast fluff and were smaller, about half the size of these. The smaller ones had a less defined chipmunk pattern.

The first picture is the ones above and the second picture are the ones that died.
@appalachianchic You might try putting this post in the What breedor gender is this forum
Someone there might be able to tell you...its awful hard to tell chipmunk chicks breed apart tho.
You could always just for half Wellies and half SS...then at least you'd get some of each.

It looks like a welsummer, but to be sure, you'll need to wait until the chest feathers come in.

Back
Top Bottom