The Welsummer Thread!!!!

One more but I can't promise I'll stop there.
The 3 new breeds I've added this season are: Brahma, GLW and Welsummer.
I requested at the feed store that they try to find/order/get me a cockeral for each of these breeds. Since the ideal proportions of pullets to cockerel wouldn't be met in the # of pullets I have, what could I expext and what would ppl prefer (If it were their flock).
I Do plan to keep the best proportions that I can so each breed may have additional pullets of either mixed or different breed, e.g. silkie and EE. Here silkies abound and EEs are a few.
I had planned on really focusing on EE and OE in terms of additions--not saying I won't but I don't want to spread my time/energy/money resources too thin and miss th egreat experience that I do this to enjoy. I also plan(ned?) to intro Dominiques. I have a BR roo (started as a pullet of course) and I do wonder about that combo: BR plus Dominique but I don't want to "wash out the Dom genes with a cockerel that is BR and will pass that gene around copiously.
Back on track...
IF I have the choice of adding a Welsummer cockerel to both Welsummer girls and also GLW girls (all aprox same age range OR adding a GLW cockerel to both Welsummer girls and GLW girls, can anyone give me a "Compare and Contrast" on how the results of eventual breeding, of social interactions at intro (I would think earliest 2 1/2 months, latest 4-4 1/2 months). Is my intro timing appropriate or if not, what would be better timing/s?

I appreciate that ppl have busy lives, that you all don't know me, my birds etc and thus have zero investment in my wishes and whims, and oh-my-goodness many questions.
I've also found ppl on this forum to be quite generous with time, replies and caring.

So, thank you all in advance. I do plan to ask this question also on the GLW thread so I get a full idea.

Can you plz explain to me, the novice why you clip only one wing? I'd much appreciate knowing. Thanks.
It leaves them off balance so they can't fly. Some can still fly with both wings clipped because they can balance their weight. Some really strong willed ones can even fly with a wing clipped! Clipping one is your best bet though. We free range and have predators around, so I don't clip. They have a covered run for when they are in there. It is just fish netting we got locally. You can also use wires every 6 inches - we may go to that because the netting got weighed down with snow twice this winter when we got big wet flakes.

Thank you. 
Do you think handling this early or did you handle your Welsummer at 2-3 days old and forward influences their willingness to kind of take it in stride? I get that different breeds tend naturally to this and others don't but could be taught.
(Way back in the day when I wasn't "raising chickens",I just happened to be blessed by a Dominique roo someone gave me knowing that I love all creatures and would take great care of him.
We formed a bond that was other worldly and when he saw my car , then I entered the pen, he jumped up for me to catch him, rested his sweet face on my shoulder and took a nap while I walked with him). This doesn't sound like "natural" Welsummer behavior from what I'm reading. Somewhere between Mondo (the dom) and the Welsummer sisters I brought home Saturday at 2-3 days old, what can I expect, possibly, if I go about my usual routine of playing, holding, hand feeding etc?
I won't force them to accept my desired behavior of course. I will however use whatever charming techniques can influence them...

Oh they can be charmed to be sure lol. We did lots of playing and handling but Nugget made it pretty clear she didn't care for the holding so I forced it only so she wouldn't freak out if I do have to hold her for some reason. Every once in a while I nab her and hold her until she calms and then I love on her. Shdownnot thrilled but she takes it.
Nugget will climb on me and let me pet her but the holding isn't her favorite activity. She's very gentle when eating from my hand, has never even pinched my skin with her beak when snatching mealworms.
She is my first Wellie, I have more experience with heritage RIRs than other chicken breeds.
While I think breed descriptions can be spot on in many cases, every chicken is an individual.
Do what you do, I am sure the sisters will love you!

Oh they can be charmed to be sure lol. We did lots of playing and handling but Nugget made it pretty clear she didn't care for the holding so I forced it only so she wouldn't freak out if I do have to hold her for some reason. Every once in a while I nab her and hold her until she calms and then I love on her. Shdownnot thrilled but she takes it.
Nugget will climb on me and let me pet her but the holding isn't her favorite activity. She's very gentle when eating from my hand, has never even pinched my skin with her beak when snatching mealworms.
She is my first Wellie, I have more experience with heritage RIRs than other chicken breeds.
While I think breed descriptions can be spot on in many cases, every chicken is an individual.
Do what you do, I am sure the sisters will love you!
Many thanks for your reply!
Are they suited--later on in juvie housing--to share space with GLWs?

Demeanor/behavior of breed is not written in stone.
Every line/strain of a breed can be different, as can individuals.
Demeanor also has much to do with flock dynamics/pecking order, environment, housing, feed, and overall health.

My Wellie cockbird is a mellow fellow, my one hen was a bullyish hellraiser in her youth.

Many thanks for your reply!
Are they suited--later on in juvie housing--to share space with GLWs?

I have Nugget in with two RIRs an australorp and two EEs. She's good with them. No bullying of the EEs and they about a week younger than Nugget.
I agree with aart, demeanor is an individual thing. Try it and see what happens.
My girls have a 6x12 coop in a 400 sq foot side yard until they learn to get over the fence and out into the big yard. They're roughly 6 to 7 weeks old so they have a ton of room to spread out at this age.

My welsummer chicks are almost two weeks old. One of the three has
much less feather development (the others have little tails already
and their primaries are more grown in) should i be worried this one may be a rooster? I picked all of them for their distinct eye and head
markings so i'm hoping she is just a little delayed. Thoughts?

My welsummer chicks are almost two weeks old. One of the three has
much less feather development (the others have little tails already
and their primaries are more grown in) should i be worried this one may be a rooster? I picked all of them for their distinct eye and head
markings so i'm hoping she is just a little delayed. Thoughts?
Looks like a pullet to me. Best to show a pic with the other two though for comparison. Although if they are hatchery stock they won't necessarily be from the same "line" because it's my understanding they flock or clan breed (I forget the term). Nuances like ability to sex breeds such as Welsummers can vary from line to line.

Back
Top Bottom