The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
to say the least we set more way eggs than we have hatch-all our chickens are still learning their jobs-so we end up with just a few good eggs
wink.png
. We're lucky that we have a heated garage(due to our work) that they can move out to when it becomes to much for the house
wink.png

Hello everyone
frow.gif

Well, I called a woman I met about giving her some fertile eggs from my Sex Link hen so that she can hatch them. Yeah, didn't think much about that offer
lol.png
I totally forgot to tell her that I only have ONE Sex Link rooster! That means that she'd get a lot of mutts! Yep, I'll be giving her a call soon... :rolleyes

what do you guys use to candle your welsummer eggs? I use one of the mini lcd flashlights for my other eggs, but I can't see through the wellie eggs. Do you have candlers?

Hello all,

One of my Welsummer pullets laid her first egg today...and it has spots (Two of her sisters lay eggs without spots, and the others have not started laying yet). The last picture is the spotted egg beside an egg from one of my EE hens. I always read/follow this thread, and I have learned so much about Welsummers from your posts.

Thanks,
Michael from TN

64082_img_7957.jpg

64082_img_7959.jpg

Quote:
So far, most of the eggs I have seen have had nice speckles on them - I want get up to dark eggs with the BIG blotches. Was the egg pretty dark!?

Nate

Quote:
EweSheep did the ones I sent make it to you yet? Should have arrived either wed or yesterday, we had blown the eggs out(breakfast of course
smile.png

OH that is you???!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I love those colors!

I'm getting some pullet eggs from one of Nate's girls, all speckley! Tiny ones LOL!

Sorry HappyChooks, thought it was YOU that sent me those eggs!

I packed them carefully so I can get some collection of brown eggs and label those by numbers of the breeders and see the wide variations of shades and colors of the terra cotta eggs.

Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Hi Louie!

Nate, what have you been up to???????? I see you are very busy!

Been very busy, im sure you can tell that tho. Havent been on here much again - its like life is slow for a while, then it just rears up, and is hectic. I quit one of my jobs on tuesday, and have been putting in 40+ hours per week at the farm. Very busy this time of year...

gearing up for the 2011 hatching season. filed my tax return, should have it shortly - another incubator will be on its way! :)

Nate

Quote:
I use one of those BIG mag lights - candle them with sheets over the windows in the A/C Shed where the incubators are in the summer. I wait 7-10 days, but it is usually hard to see the little guys in there, so I usualy do 10 days, then by then it is usually all dark, except for the air sac is light passed thru.

I have gotten good at candling - I hardly use a flash light now - I can tell by the feel of the egg(sad I know, been doing this since age 14/15... going strong on 10 years this year!!! LOL)

But I always re-candle them after I have hand check them when I am putting them back in the trays. I dont use egg trays in the incubaotr, but put all the eggs right into the trays, and make sure the trays are full, then it is more of a FULL TURN OF THE EGGS, and they do roll around and such. I usually have a 90-100% hatch rate!!!

Nate

Quote:
So far, most of the eggs I have seen have had nice speckles on them - I want get up to dark eggs with the BIG blotches. Was the egg pretty dark!?

Nate

Will post pics tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom