The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Just candled, I had to remove one egg it had a bloodring in it and it stopped a few days ago. So 6 eggs till hatching
smile.png

Quote:
YES Pink,
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

I now have 5 beautiful little wellies in my brooder!!! I am tickled 'Pink' !!!!
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

With my inexpedience eye, I believe I have 2 little roos and 3 little pullets. Wish I could send pics, but trust me, they are precious!!!!
Thank you, thank you for sharing your fine WA Wellies, TX will be better for it!!!
big_smile.png

Hope you have lots of hugs & smiling faces around you.
hugs.gif
smile.png
and that life smooths out for you.
Your 5 new Texas grandchicks send their love
smile.png

I have a question for all you folks experienced with Welsummers. I think my roo is infertile. I've seen him mating the hens (he's with 12 hens), but most of the Welsummer eggs that I have checked are not fertile. I incubated about 25 Wellie eggs and only one hatched. Do Welsummer roos take longer to mature? He's about 13 mos. old and seems very healthy. Maybe I just need to get another roo.
hmm.png

Quote:
To me its amazing that roo's get the job done at all. I mean, 1-3 seconds and their done..... and how do they aim so well with no.....well you know, with no "thing"

how are you checking your fertility, are you actually cracking the eggs and looking at the yolk?

Quote:
Never had one yet that was rough with the girls. Some will improve and some will not.

A time out sounds good to me but others may say they will settle down. If he draws blood or overly excited, exhausing the pullets, time for him to go.

Thank you.
smile.png
He's not drawn blood on them yet but he won't take no for an answer. The pullets are just starting to lay and some don't want to know him yet.

He's in time out in his night box at the moment. I let him out this morning and he flew straight out and started attacking the girls. There was lots of screeching and they all fled to the high perches to get away from him so I bundled him back up in his box. I'm so mad with him right now, I was only going to let him roam while I had breakfast and built a temporary pen for him. If solitary doesn't improve him, he'll be soup.
sad.png

I have 2.5 dozen Wellie Eggs going in the hatcher tonight! Started with 3 dozen and 6 Eggs we not Fertile. 24 out of 32 with 1 Roo to 11 hens. I hope they all hatch!!!
smile.png

Nate

Back
Top Bottom