The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I would like to show everyone the results of one of my "experiments". Almost two months ago, I hatched Welsummer from two different breeders: one with Barber line, and the other with Grisham/Hall lines. I just wanted to see the difference as the pullets grew (I know there are many other variables to consider, but I wanted to start with the different lines). The pullets hatched have different back coloring (one is darker). I took pictures of them today, and would like to know which is "better"?

Pullet #1:
64082_img_9156.jpg

Pullet #2:
64082_img_9155.jpg

Pullets 1 & 2 together (with a cockerel in the corner):
64082_img_9157.jpg

Both have the same color breast feathers:
64082_img_9159.jpg

Quote:
I went and looked--Opa said he got his Wellies from Estes Hatchery! That is who I was going to order from until I got scared off by stories of hatchery chicks not being real heritage birds.
hu.gif

Estes hatchery bought Lowell Barber's stock when he passed away.

Quote:
ditto

I'll be interested to see pictures of them as they grow older, please be sure to share. I wonder if they'll end up looking more alike as they get older

Quote:
I went and looked--Opa said he got his Wellies from Estes Hatchery! That is who I was going to order from until I got scared off by stories of hatchery chicks not being real heritage birds.
hu.gif

Estes hatchery bought Lowell Barber's stock when he passed away.

Opa said they bought out Calico Woods--did they buy both?

Quote:

Eggs are Good, number two appears to have BARRED marks in the feathers? It is supposed to be partridge color but the standard said no barring.

It is awesome that you posted these photos! My chicks are happy in the brooder now. There are six of them and I don't know for sure yet how many boys and how many girls. But they already show a slightly different color pattern as some of the tips are a light tone.

Glad to see folks 'working' with the Wellies. I will have a nice photographic selection from a lot of BYC'ers on the eggs I shipped in, PROVIDED more of them HATCH!!

Keep the Photos coming. Are those the eggs/birds you got from Nate?? Or did you find a more local source to Tennessee?

Cheers,
Bonnie

Back
Top Bottom