The Welsummer Thread!!!!

thumbsup.gif
You can not always stop with one, if you lose or misplace one, you can always get more than what you need LOL!

I am new to Welsummers - have 2 17 week old hens & they are the sweetest hens I've ever had. One of the two follows us around like she is a dog & wants on our laps & likes to be petted. I cannot wait to see the eggs in a few weeks!!

Quote:
Hello and welcome to the wellie thread!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but my welsummers don't usually start laying until after 24 weeks. If you have yours from a hatchery, they may start sooner. Either way, not too much longer to eggs!
celebrate.gif

I agree with Happy Chooks! Mine are not hatchery stock and they were roughly eight and nine months old. Had one that reached 11 months old before she started laying. And they do last a longer time than hatchery lines, no egg burn out or any egg genetic problems that plagues the hatchery Welsummers or other hatchery breeds often.

Quote:
I've tried it many ways and I prefer using my hand. The flashlight is held lower down with my bottom three fingers. My index finger acts as a cushion and seal. That way I'm holding the egg securely with both hands and I can candle an egg in about one second each. Hand without flashlight picks up egg and presses it against other hand and then sets it down - picking up next egg in same motion. Takes me about 90 seconds to candle a 30 egg tray. I can see each egg clearly with any good LED flashlight.

Quote:
Hello and welcome to the wellie thread!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but my welsummers don't usually start laying until after 24 weeks. If you have yours from a hatchery, they may start sooner. Either way, not too much longer to eggs!
celebrate.gif

I've had many start at 20-22 weeks. Mine are Calicowoods stock (Harry Shaw from Lowell Barber). I've also had groups not start until 30-35 weeks. It seems to have more to do with the time of year they were hatched than anything else.

Quote:
I've tried it many ways and I prefer using my hand. The flashlight is held lower down with my bottom three fingers. My index finger acts as a cushion and seal. That way I'm holding the egg securely with both hands and I can candle an egg in about one second each. Hand without flashlight picks up egg and presses it against other hand and then sets it down - picking up next egg in same motion. Takes me about 90 seconds to candle a 30 egg tray. I can see each egg clearly with any good LED flashlight.

Exactly my method!
thumbsup.gif

Yesterday I candled the Welsummer eggs and all are viable. Between the broody hen and the incubator I should have a bunch of chicks to choose from.

Quote:
I had to put a rooster down this spring and was down to only 1 rooster with 15 hens. I was wondering if he'd get all the hens, but I've yet to see a problem. Your eggs confirm he's done a good job all by himself for the whole season thus far.

Back
Top Bottom