The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I finally am able to candle dark welsummer eggs. On Fathers Day Granny's church gave every father a flashlite. When I picked her up after church they gave me one as well. I'm sure its an inexpensive light but it has 6 LEDs and uses 3 AAA batteries
10233_l3.jpg

I cut a 2" piece of 3/4" foam pipe insulation and inserted the flashlite.I brought the end of the flashlite to within 1/2" of the end of the foam. By pressing on the foam at the lite end the foam became slightly concave. It fits tightly against the egg completely ending any light escaping except thru the egg. I illuminated the dark eggs perfectly.
10233_l1.jpg

10233_l2.jpg

I use that flashlight too! Instead of the foam, I used my hand as an "o" and put the flashlight on one end of my hand and the egg on top. Works very well in pinch!

I find that type of flashlight is the BEST I've found so far, very durable and easy to handle. Less pricey as egg candlers that hatcheries sell them for.

Quote:
very neat idea, what brand is the flashlight? I like the foam pipe insulation idea and happen to have some on hand, the only one here who can get a good seal around an egg with his hand is DH. Will have to try with the next batch we incubate.

Back
Top Bottom