The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
I'm guessing these are the chicks you hatched from my birds? None of mine were slow to feather, but I'll definately keep a watch out for it in the future. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback yet on how the offspring look so while its not good news, it is something that I'm glad I'm aware of. This year I had both roos in the pen, so I'm not sure which is the sire. Next year I will have two pens and hopefully it will help me better identify who is throwing what traits on both the hens and the roos.

Umm yes.
hide.gif
I had horrible luck with hatching any but yours.
hugs.gif

I only have the three and so it could be a fluke.
hu.gif
I am sure that he will turn out absolutely gorgeous, and then I will be looking forward to naked bum chicks.
roll.png
The pullet is a cutie.

no need to hide under the chair
wink.png
Honest feedback is a good thing, even when it isn't positive . If I never hear what's wrong how would I know what to work on!!
wink.png

Taz..............I have an English Orp that a lot of people thought was a cockerel. The poor thing was hideous, and everyone called him ostrich boy. It took forever for it to feather out. But then to everyone's surprise, he turned out to be a gorgeous hen. So slow feathering can be a really good thing.

I've never had slow feathering in my wellies though.

Quote:
If you post a picture I bet the experts on here could tell you now if she's a Wellie or not

Here she is at 5-6 weeks. I need to go get some better pictures:

chick-9-2.jpg

chick-9.jpg

I got some newer pictures of her. I am really thinking she is a leghorn. I just dont know. What do you guys think? She is 8 weeks, I would think her earlobes would change by now, but I am not expert

Image22.jpg

Image23.jpg

Image33.jpg

Image31.jpg

I don't think that's a welsummer. You're right about the ear lobes. Also, the coloring is wrong for a welsummer, the chest should be salmon colored. I've seen hatchery welsummers that look similar, but the earlobes say white egg layer
hmm.png

With what I recall with my birds, the earlobes don't start turning until after their comb/wattles start turning red. But those earlobes are awfully white and the chest color looks more leghorn like.

Question: I have some young Wellies, four months old. One of the cockerels I was hoping to not cull has a white flight feather. Would I be correct in assuming that at this age he is not going to lose it. These birds are Grisham/Hall line.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom