The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Jack Fugate lived in Athens, TN. He was the original importer of BCMarans....I believe Lowell lived in NC. I am certain it was Jack that imported some Welsummers from the UK (uncertain if they were from England or Holland) I will have to contact some of the UK breeders over there and see if there was any relation to Fugate.

Just love that you have all these contacts and can research!! If Shane's Fugate is still living, maybe he can say if he is related to Jack?? Very interesting!!

Now we will all have a lot more pictures of the Fugate birds from Iowa and can see how it is doing. I like the idea of somewhat tighter combs as the hatchery stock seems to really have some fleshy large combs on the roos and that's just bad for frostbite and cold winter problems. You are getting me closer to wanting to take photos of my lot.

Trying to keep the crowing down as I am in town and both bad neighbors are on 2nd shift and sleeping.....I'm a slow builder and it's cold outside, guess I will have to bite the cold, bundle up and get out to the farm for building on the rooster coop.

All cold weather ideas welcome here. So nice to walk into my pit greenhouse and be greeted by happy hungry thirsty chickens.

Roo keeps jumping on poor lame Cassidy as she is big now and crouches on the ground and hops along. She is still coping and quite pretty in her feathering, nice partridge coloring. She is from Amanda Yarborough's stock in Alabama and lame from the egg turners one shelf up from the hatching drawer at my friends house. I wanted to see how she feathered in and is very pretty. Now if we could just get Amanda to hatch and ship chicks.....

Cheers all, Bon from Clyde, OHIO

Please tell me they are both hens.... aarrgghh. the differences in them are beginning to become less clear.
Chick one (hopefully NOT a roo)
penny6.jpg
Penny5.jpg

chick 2 assumed girl
peaches6.jpg
peaches5.jpg

chicks3.jpg

I ordered 2 hens
sad.png
they will be living indoors in the area we kept our old LF hen who passed away. I really don't want a roo INSIDE.
please be a crappy looking hen, not a roo
fl.gif

I have never noticed any of my boys having any eyeliner. They do have the smudge at the back of the eye though.

I hatched this baby 8/1 (rather, my broody did) and both Kim and I thought it was a boy - turned out to be a pullet. (ignore the 2 olive eggers)
IMG_4000.jpg

You'll know for sure in a few weeks - males combs get big fast.

I have been wrong...this is for sure.
lol.png
I am not an expert just throwing out what I think and see. I stick with my original guess and hope I am wrong and that this chick ends up being a pullet for you.

Is it possible to get another photo of chick 1 standing up alone and from a full on front shot and one from the side with a little less angle? Another pic of chick 1's wing fully opened would be great too.
Do you see a noticeable difference in the length of the secondary flight feathers on chick 1 vs. chick 2?

And Happy Chooks is totally right about waiting and their combs do get big pretty fast.

smile.png

*edited to add* Forgot to ask....how old are they again?

Last edited:
Quote:
No worries Kelly I did not think that at all! I was just laughing at myself because of all the many times I have been way off. I can't help but think of when I raised a "ameraucana pullet" for 8 mos. to be completely wrong. Didn't mean to come off wrong.
smile.png

Oh, I know you weren't trying to contradict, but again, It gives me hope that MyPetChicken actually DID send me two pullets. They say the "sex" them, so I'm hoping it's not just by coloration, since most can't be sexed that way.

Plus they are hatchery chicks, so there is possibility that they will be not so great looking when full grown "welsummers" But I'm not too concerned with how "to the standard" my hens are. I am particular about my dogs, but I breed them and am in a dog related career. Chickens, are just for fun. Actually I'm hoping there are little differences in them as adults so I'll be able to tell them apart ;-)

Back
Top Bottom