The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Nice looking pullet and egg, Congrats!!!
clap.gif

My DH and I are seriously considering a roo and while he doesn't have any sort of breed preference in that department, I think wellie roos are just gorgeous and would love to add one to our flock. So how do wellies stack up (banty or LF) regarding general temperament (towards their girls and their keepers) and flock guard duties?

Quote:
My rooster (LF) is a fantastic protector of our hens. He's gentle on them for mating and excellent with babies. And with integrating, he doesn't allow fighting of the other hens to the new addition. When he sees a problem, he rounds up all the hens and sticks himself out in front all puffed up like I'm big and bad I dare you to come mess with me.

My LF roo loves all of his girls, both in LF and BF sizes! He was certainly gentle with them! He is good about warning strange dogs coming on the property and chases off feral cats. I certainly missed him!

Oh, Fred is a handsome fellow!
big_smile.png

Good to know they can be hard on intruders and easy on the girls...including banties, since the possibility of adding some shorter stature birds to the flock is out there. Any recommendations on where to look for a wellie roo? We really haven't had any luck on the local end (real hard breed to find in our area, it seems)? We'd like to get an older bird, like 1+ year(s) or so.

That is definitely a trait that I see in mine too. They are such gentlemen. In my breeding pen my roo sleeps with the hens on each side and it looks like the girls are cuddling up to him.

Back
Top Bottom