The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Not a bad rooster, and the black in the lower hackle feathers is not a fault (cf. the SOP) although I once saw a judge's comment marking it as a fault. Leg color is great, overall plumage color looks good, and the mottling of brown in the breast backwards is good. Concerns: Comb a bit large, especially growing too far over the beak; backline could be a bit more level (hard to tell, though, from the picture); and the tail angle is too low for our SOP and also the Dutch/UK standard (probably correct'for the German/Scandinavian standard) [the UK and Dutch standards state "high tail carriage" --ours states 60 degrees. You may have hens that should be a good match.

Thank you very much for the detailed critique, very helpful! I will have to watch him tomorrow from outside the pen instead of inside, crouched on the ground, with him trying to get away from me. I think his normal tail carriage is higher than it looked in the pics. My hens all have quite small combs so we shall try some test matings and see what we get. I may also take him to a show in Stevenson, WA in April and see what the judges think if enough of you think he is worthy.

Photos really affect shape, angles and carriage and can be very misleading. The comb could be better, but most Welsummers seem to need improvement in this area. Our SOP states the back should be broad, long and sloping slightly. Yours seems okay here. The hackles should be golden brown and uniform in color. Your bird's most obvious fault appears to be with this. The dark striping is pronounced and I would say more so than most Welsummers I've been seeing. The bird is really way too young to judge the body critically and without handling it.

If it's your only cockerel and you're going to breed it anyway, Just select the next generation from a large number of offspring and you should be able to improve upon it.

I would agree with both the comments above. Pictures can really be deceiving as they may or may not capture at that moment what the true type is. In one stance the tail appears to be about 60 degrees but in others it appears to be low. I would like to see less striping in the lower hackles and especially not see it work its way up the neck. Leg color is not bad but I wouldn't call it great. The mottling in the breast is not bad in any way but I'd like to see a bit more of it in the front of the breast.

The thing that I most noticed that neither of the other two commented on is the color of the hackles. On my screen it appears to be very washed out. Hard to describe other than that. If what I'm seeing is correct, I would not use the bird for that reason. I recently saw a bird at the show last month and it was obvious that the bird was a hatchery bird. When you looked at it compared to the other Welsummers down the line, is was a striking difference. Really stood out. And "washed out" is the best way I can describe it.

Males are not to awful difficult to find and get relatively cheaply. If you're just starting out and he's the only male you have, I would suggest looking for another. Might as well start out your breeding plan with the best you can get and then start linebreeding from there.

God Bless,

Thank you very much McSpin and Tailfeathers! In natural light, his colours look quite bright to me but I have no comparisons other than some roos I have of other breeds.......... Washed out? Do you mean just too dull in coloration? His legs are very bright yellow, they look what I consider washed out in the pics.

I have 8 nice Wellie hens going into their 3rd laying season (serious breeder not hatchery stock). I was about to start looking for hatching eggs or chicks to be their eventual replacements for my laying flock then saw this boy for sale on Craigslist and thought, well, I might as well just make my own. Sounds like he may not have the potential I had hoped but that is ok, learning every day.

I really appreciate everyones opinions and experience!!!

Last edited:
I think it's the lighting or a flash that is making him look washed out. I agree with the others on the black striping on the hackles and his comb.

Last edited:
Thanks to the friend of mine who decided to sell me back Nate Vanwey hen back to me when she decided she HAD to downsize the flock to spend more time with her family. She also threw in an EE which she is lovely but boy, was she the top dog LOL! She butchered the roo and the predator got the other hen late last winter. She had ALL the chickens into the garage so they will be safe from predators. From 75 to 15 is her goal and I'm glad she is cutting back since they want to move into town. They love being out in the country but the cons outweigh the pros at this point in their lives. So they are selling off alot of their animals, mini ponies are all spoken for, all is left are the red sex links and Flemish Giants (which they are young but I was about to fall off my chair in the sheer size of them!).

A bit of groceries, they will fatten up quickly. The EE looked good but the Welsummer girl is a bit light weight and noticed she did have some lighter colored comb and wattles and earlobes, must be the stress and fighting for food, her back looked like she has been rode to death by the roo. I was glad to get her out of there since she was the fav of the roo's harem. A bit of a vacation, she will be on the mend. Her leg colors are yellow, corn yellow as it could be!

The Ee girl looked like a Faverolle cross, no fifth toe that I could see but her legs are light pink and the beard looks alot like the Faverolles than the Ameraucanas. Lovely girl and hope she will lay me some GREEN eggs! Now if her disposition would be a bit mellow, we would be good to go but man, she climbed the pecking order really fast.

My orp banty girl started laying about five days ago, found eggs under her, thinking she is not laying...sneaky girl!

So now I have three LF Welsummers, one EE, one Welsummer Bantam (Erhard lines), and one black orp banty hen...do I need more? YOU BET!
lol.png

Zanna, he does not look like a bad looking roo despite of the huge back blade of his comb and the black penciling can be improved with the girls that has less. I don't know enough how bad it would be but I think Royce would be a better judge or McSpin would chime in. In the SOP, none is being said about how much black penciling is required in the roosters.

Congrats Robin!

Our flock will all be six months old this coming Sunday, and they're all laying 5-6 days per week...except our wellie. We never really expected any of them to lay so well to start, especially in the middle of winter. We know the more heritage breeds tend to start laying a little later, but even our dominique has been laying regularly for the past two weeks.

It's a bugger because we reeeeaaaally want to see what our wellie's eggs look like. Do they usually torture you like this or is ours putting in extra effort?
lol.png

Our flock will all be six months old this coming Sunday, and they're all laying 5-6 days per week...except our wellie. We never really expected any of them to lay so well to start, especially in the middle of winter. We know the more heritage breeds tend to start laying a little later, but even our dominique has been laying regularly for the past two weeks.

It's a bugger because we reeeeaaaally want to see what our wellie's eggs look like. Do they usually torture you like this or is ours putting in extra effort?
lol.png
yep they string you along this but it is well worth it! Ours have been laying steady through the winter when some of the others aren't!

Our 1 st hatch is now 1 month old and we are starting to beable to tell who the boys are and who the girls are. For those of you who remember our hatch from last year- it looks like we again have 2 boys who are showing the hen feathering- that is the group that my DD picked her pullet from that won 2011 large fowl champion at our county fair. It will be interesting to see how they all turn out.

Last edited:
Wow they are a month old already.......... it didn't seem so long ago you posted the pictures.. they do grow quick......
Glad they are doing well, is it normal for boys to start out with girl feathering in wellies or is that some kinda fluke? probably would of been the chicks I would have picked hehehe
I'm ever so good at picking out roosters.LOL 2 outa 3 is my average. So will you be able to post some updated pictures so we can see the difference in the feathering you described?
and you know me picture crazy......
PS when might they be ready for pick up, and about when do Wellies start laying 6 months or later? I never thought to ask that one, but post above reminded me. TY Kim

Back
Top Bottom