The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
Ok...so I'm not crazy that I recognized the name! I grew up in the Cornhusker Poultry Club and was show secretary for a while when I was in highschool, but helped the secretaries for many years before that. I also showed quite a bit at the Nebraska Poultry Club as well. I have a weird thing about remembering names, faces, and other odd info. Small world eh?

It really is, I was once stationed in Panama while in the service and the first day, walked into the office where I was to work and ran into a friend I had not seen since he had graduated High school two years before me. We spent 3 years down there together with the same job, he worked days I worked nights we were each others relief.

That's awesome! I traveled internationally quite a bit when I got my bachelors degree in cross cultural communications and found it shocking how many times I'd run into people i knew. crazy

I think if you were in bantam wyandottes at the time you probably showed against my dad...he never showed the birchens...that was his pet project, but blues, blacks, splashes were what he showed most.

Nice to meet ya again..I'm sure we've met before then

oh...I just wanted to add too that I'm glad you are working with youth to get them excited about poultry. Gotta keep the tradition of raising quality poultry alive.

Last edited:
Quote:
With the Wyandotte I have two varieties of LF had 3 but prefer less common varieties.
The Bantams are easier to maintain, house and feed. they do lay a nice size egg and in proportion to feed lay a better size and quantity than the LF. They do still dress out well if desired. I also find that with keeping the bantams they are really preffered by the urban and sub-urban for eggs, and youth for showing.
The bantam is also much easier to prep for show and handle.

Thanks so much for the additional info, now I feel much more informed, and intrigued.

As for the Secret
th.gif
I too hate them, but I bet it will be exciting, look forward to hearing what you are working on.

Quote:
So you don't mind if I bring my brood of 3 girls when I come look at the Cochrins? You really will have to give us a lot of pointers because I am still new to chickens.

that is not a problem at all, what ever you and teh girls need to be sucessfull I will be more than happy to help out with. You and the kids are always welcome around here I seldom leave so I'm not hard to reach.

Quote:
With the Wyandotte I have two varieties of LF had 3 but prefer less common varieties.
The Bantams are easier to maintain, house and feed. they do lay a nice size egg and in proportion to feed lay a better size and quantity than the LF. They do still dress out well if desired. I also find that with keeping the bantams they are really preffered by the urban and sub-urban for eggs, and youth for showing.
The bantam is also much easier to prep for show and handle.

Thanks so much for the additional info, now I feel much more informed, and intrigued.

As for the Secret
th.gif
I too hate them, but I bet it will be exciting, look forward to hearing what you are working on.

I will post pics when it's time, the nice part is they aren't a project they are very well developed championship line that is being aquired. They are bantam wyandotte.
I am seriously considering cutting our LF to only the Columbian, hatching enough of them to satisfy myself and a maybe a few extra for pairs and trios for youth program donations. Then allowing them to free range more inside a fenced 2 acre enclosure next year. That should drastically cut feed expenses for the LF as we currently keep them housed in groups of 4 in 5x10 Breeder pens with no free range activity. Lets face it the LF Dottes will eat you out of house and home is you allow them to.

Last edited:
Quote:

As for the Secret
th.gif

I will post pics when it's time, the nice part is they aren't a project they are very well developed championship line that is being aquired. They are bantam wyandotte.
I am seriously considering cutting our LF to only the Columbian, hatching enough of them to satisfy myself and a maybe a few extra for pairs and trios for youth program donations. Then allowing them to free range more inside a fenced 2 acre enclosure next year. That should drastically cut feed expenses for the LF as we currently keep them housed in groups of 4 in 5x10 Breeder pens with no free range activity. Lets face it the LF Dottes will eat you out of house and home is you allow them to.

Amen! i raise all dual purpose large fowl breeds and they certainly do eat nonstop if you let them.

BLR- When choosing young cockerels, is it better to pick ones with better lacing or deeper red, even if the lacing does not look 'promising'(these have almost solid blue hackles with little or no striping and feathers on saddle area also mostly solid blue)? Cockerels with lacing have a nice red, just seems slightly lighter.

Here are mine. GLW, SLW and what was supposed to be partridge. The Australorp was my daughters pick. The GLW, and partridge are right at 22 weeks, Australorp is 18 weeks and the SLW are 15 weeks. My wife accidentally let the dog out and she got a hold of the third GLW which was my favorite bird so it was replaced with the 3 SLW. We now have a sign on the back door that reads, chickens are out so that everyone knows. The dog that killed the chicken well lets just say we have an understanding now. One of my SLW has a funny feather with pattern growing out of the top of her head. Its been funny watching the pecking order after the three SLW were added a few weeks back. The GLW first showed them they were in charge and then it trickled down. They spend all day in the yard and only go into the coop at night.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/sirhc76/Chickens 3 months/

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

Quote:
In breeder selection, Type, Type, Type, pattern, color, type type..
There are some tricks to breeding laced patterned birds when the pattern is not right. It is a matter of compensation mating.
Ultimately you want to work toward the Mahogany not light or even darker red but the mahogany amny lines have been diluted with GL birds added to increase numbers.
next suggestion with LF Wyandotte do not breed from cockrells if you can avoid it. If it is a must then do what feel is best but re-evaluate once the birds are fully mature and filled out, this is well past point of lay for pullets and way way past the cockrells ability to fertlize an egg

Here is the proposed standard:
Male:

MALE COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES: Bright Red.
BEAK: Horn shading to yellow at point.
EYES: Reddish bay.
HEAD: Plumage, rich mahogany bay, each feather having a medium blue stripe tapering to a fine point near it extremity.
NECK: Hackle—web of feathers lustrous medium blue with a narrow lacing of rich mahogany bay, uniform in width, extending around the point, shaft mahogany bay. Front of neck—same as breast.
BACK: Rich mahogany bay on surface. Saddle—rich mahogany bay in appearance, with a medium blue stripe through each feather, laced with rich mahogany bay, conforming to shape of center, the medium blue stripe having a long diamond-shaped center of rich mahogany bay.
TAIL: Main Tail—Medium blue. Sickles and Coverts—Lustrous, medium blue. Smaller Coverts—Medium blue with diamond-shaped centers of rich mahogany bay laced with rich mahogany bay.
WINGS: Fronts—Medium blue with rich mahogany bay centers. Bows—Rich mahogany bay. Coverts—web of each feather rich mahogany bay, with narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue, forming a double bar of laced feathers across wings. Primaries—Medium blue with lower edges rich mahogany bay. Secondary—Medium blue lower half of lower webs, rich mahogany bay with narrow medium blue edging wider at the tip; upper webs edged with rich mahogany bay.
BREAST: Web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue .
BODY AND FLUFF: Body—web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue. Fluff—medium slate.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower Thighs—web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue conforming to edge of feather Shanks and Toes—yellow.
UNDER COLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Medium slate, shading to mahogany bay at base.

Female:
COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES: Bright Red.
BEAK: Horn shading to yellow at point.
EYES: Reddish bay. HEAD: Plumage, rich mahogany bay.
NECK: Rich mahogany bay in appearance, each feather medium blue with a narrow lacing of rich mahogany bay. Shaft, mahogany bay. Front of Neck—same as breast.
BACK: Web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue.
TAIL: Main Tail—Medium blue. Coverts and Lesser Coverts—rich mahogany bay, laced with medium blue.
WINGS: Fronts, Bows and Coverts—web of each feather rich mahogany bay with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous medium blue. Primaries—Medium blue with lower edges rich mahogany bay. Secondary—Medium blue lower half of lower webs, rich mahogany bay with narrow medium blue edging wider at the tips; upper webs edged with rich mahogany bay.
BREAST: Web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body—web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue. Fluff—medium slate.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower Thighs—web of each feather, rich mahogany bay, with a narrow, sharply defined lacing of lustrous, medium blue to conform to edge of feather Shanks and Toes—yellow.
UNDER COLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Medium slate.

Back
Top Bottom