There is Solidarity or Adult Rooster meets with 6wk3dy old hens

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
I feel good today, Iput the rooster in with the hens. As of right now, they seem to be getting along well. I spent at least two weeks prepping for this moment; gradually getting them used to each others presence. Now they are all together in the pen. Hooray!

I think he views them as both, but, I think because they are so small, he is taking care not to do anything stupid. The chicks too, are making sure to give the rooster space. Now, I have to train the rooster to eat his own food and not theirs. That is the new challenge.
When the chicks were indoors; the food, that they got messy, I threw out side. The rooster seems to have taken a liking to it when foraging around . So now,they are in the coop, and thinks their food is his. My bad!

I'm sure the rooster thinks that any food around is HIS food. Of course a little extra protein for a while won't hurt him, and by around 10 weeks old you can transition the chicks to grower formula which at around 15% protein, is good for roosters, too (and is a little less expensive than starter).

Back
Top Bottom