THEY ARE HERE! Chick heavy, pic heavy post inside...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickieNikki, May 14, 2009.

1. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

Got a call at 6:30--chicks at the post office! They shipped from Cackle yesterday, and here they are! Ordered 25, got an extra black australorp, for a total of 26. They all are active, peppy, eating and drinking well, no pasty butts on arrival, and I smoothed back their butt down with vaseline one at a time, dipped their beaks, and sent them off into their new world! The EEs are pretty--two brown and black speckled-y ones, one light yellow and possibly lavender one, one light yellow with darker lavender/gray on her back, and one gold and buff looking. This is really fun! Enjoy the fluff!!

Here is my brooder setup--hope it holds these girls until the coop's done!
    [​IMG]

The Flock, snacking and drinking...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is Stella, named by my 8 year old son. She's very pretty, and I would have picked her for mine, too.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the other EEs
    [​IMG]

These next 3 are Buttercup, named by my 6 year old daughter. I think she might be lavender?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the slightly darker blond EE
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

One of the Black Australorps (which now appears to be a BR, now that I see the purple marking...oops on my photo labeling!)
    [​IMG]

One of the barred rocks
    [​IMG]

One of the buff orps
    [​IMG]

I'm in love!!!!!!!!!!

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Soo Cute, but don't think that brooder is going to last you long, they grow FAST!!! [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Your EEs are so cool!

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:That was my thought exactly!!! They grow fast!! Adorable!

5. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwwwww!!! I have 3 chicks that hatched out this week in my coop that are the cutest things in the entire world.

6. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Why did you put vaseline on them? What does it do?[​IMG]
    Congrats![​IMG]

7. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Once they get pasty butt, you have to use warm water and qtips to get the poo off and then put vaseline around their vent to keep the poo from sticking. I just did step 2 first, hoping to avoid step 1. Didn't upset anyone, didn't have any problems--so tomorrow morning I'll do a "vent check" to see how things look, and apply more vaseline if needed. I'll post my results!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by