THEY ARE HERE! Chick heavy, pic heavy post inside...

ChickieNikki

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
1 hour west of St. Louis, MO
Got a call at 6:30--chicks at the post office! They shipped from Cackle yesterday, and here they are! Ordered 25, got an extra black australorp, for a total of 26. They all are active, peppy, eating and drinking well, no pasty butts on arrival, and I smoothed back their butt down with vaseline one at a time, dipped their beaks, and sent them off into their new world! The EEs are pretty--two brown and black speckled-y ones, one light yellow and possibly lavender one, one light yellow with darker lavender/gray on her back, and one gold and buff looking. This is really fun! Enjoy the fluff!!

Here is my brooder setup--hope it holds these girls until the coop's done!
26222_brooder.jpg

The Flock, snacking and drinking...
26222_the_flock.jpg
26222_the_flock_2.jpg
26222_drinking.jpg
26222_snackers.jpg

This is Stella, named by my 8 year old son. She's very pretty, and I would have picked her for mine, too.
26222_stella_the_ee.jpg

This is one of the other EEs
26222_ee4.jpg

These next 3 are Buttercup, named by my 6 year old daughter. I think she might be lavender?
26222_buttercup_the_ee.jpg
26222_buttercups_back.jpg
26222_buttercup.jpg

This is the slightly darker blond EE
26222_ee1.jpg
26222_ee1back.jpg

One of the Black Australorps (which now appears to be a BR, now that I see the purple marking...oops on my photo labeling!)
26222_black_australorp.jpg

One of the barred rocks
26222_barred_rock.jpg

One of the buff orps
26222_buff_orp.jpg

I'm in love!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Once they get pasty butt, you have to use warm water and qtips to get the poo off and then put vaseline around their vent to keep the poo from sticking. I just did step 2 first, hoping to avoid step 1. Didn't upset anyone, didn't have any problems--so tomorrow morning I'll do a "vent check" to see how things look, and apply more vaseline if needed. I'll post my results!

Back
Top Bottom