They won't come in, out of the rain!

Well, my chickadees are one month and five months old. So they haven't really experienced to much rain yet. I have wondered how they are going to take it. I hope they like it since they live in Oregon and it seems like it rained from October to June this year.
lol.png

We live on Whidbey Island in the Pacific Northwest, right in the beautiful rainy Puget Sound. Most of our chickens stay out in the rain (Cochins, Wyandottes, Rhodies, Marans, etc.). We've set up the roofing on the rabbit pens so there's overhang - they like to perch on the top fence rails during rainstorms and supervise the rabbits. We also have roofing over the pens, which they won't go hang out in during rainstorms - I used to lock them in the pens, but there just wasn't any point, it just made them cranky.

Our Silkies have a roofed pen, I'm not letting those out. The phrase "too stupid to live" comes up a lot around them. We had to rehome our Polish, I swear she was suicidal - she'd get up on top of one of the doghouses right under where the Bald Eagles like to hang out!

I figure if the big standard chickens can handle a rainforest like our area, they can handle just about anything.

Our japanese are not smart enough. We have to go out every night after dark whenever it's raining to pick them up off the roost that's out in the run and put them in the coop. Idiots. But, I love them anyway.

We live in the Land of Rain (aka WA state). Our chickens go out in it all the time.. now grant, we mostly have constant drizzle, but there are times when it's just an absolute DOWNPOUR and you'd think they come in out of it. Our girls stay out in it and don't seem to be any worse for ware. If they're free-ranging, it may be that they're out hunting for the worms who are being drowned out of the ground?
hu.gif
Not sure what my girls are looking for when we've had 20" of snow on the ground and insist on going out anyway - frozen popsicle worms?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom