They wont eat "Treats"!?

Hayden_7833

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
Hi Guys!

Just a quick question, Is it normal for them not to be interested in "treats" and fresh food?

They're thoroughly 11/12 weeks old and they're just not that interested in fresh foods or even the occasional treat?

Picture below of my babies <3

Attachments

• 20200506_145725.jpg
    20200506_145725.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 8
Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get the hang of treats. The treats do not look like their regular food and they hesitate to figure out what the treat is. It seems to me that they are actually afraid of the treats. Eventually one will get brave. Once one gives it a try and likes the treats, the others will soon be enjoying the treats also.

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get the hang of treats. The treats do not look like their regular food and they hesitate to figure out what the treat is. It seems to me that they are actually afraid of the treats. Eventually one will get brave. Once one gives it a try and likes the treats, the others will soon be enjoying the treats also.

Ahh Thank you! I think you're right about them being afraid! Hopefully soon they'll enjoy them :D

At that age mine mostly explored treats if I offered it to them. So I'd give them a dandelion leaf and one would grab it and run around while the others chanced. After a while they began eating it, then I could add other little tidbits like pieces of apple or whatever. They didn't start going wild for scratch grains until I put them with the big birds and they picked it up from them.

I’ve been wondering the same thing! I’ve tried to give mine mealworms and fresh strawberries and they couldn’t care less 🤷🏻‍♀️
but they do like when I put a chunk of fresh grass/sod in the run for them, they peck and scratch at it!
Also feeding them their regular feed from my hand seems to make them happy too 😂

I have 41 mature hens and 2 roosters. I got 5 day old easter eggers because I wanted more blue eggs. My easter eggers are now 10 weeks old and have absolutely NO interest in mealworms! Can you imagine that? They love grains, but turn their noses up at mealworms. All chickens are different, they may learn to love treats or maybe not??????? :D

I’ve been wondering the same thing! I’ve tried to give mine mealworms and fresh strawberries and they couldn’t care less 🤷🏻‍♀️
but they do like when I put a chunk of fresh grass/sod in the run for them, they peck and scratch at it!
Also feeding them their regular feed from my hand seems to make them happy too 😂

Its so strange! I thought theyd just eat it!
But I managed to trick them into kinda trying by mixing a little bit of their food with some treats seemed to work

I have 41 mature hens and 2 roosters. I got 5 day old easter eggers because I wanted more blue eggs. My easter eggers are now 10 weeks old and have absolutely NO interest in mealworms! Can you imagine that? They love grains, but turn their noses up at mealworms. All chickens are different, they may learn to love treats or maybe not??????? :D
It really did shock me! As Ive seen so many ideas to treat them! Especially now we have this lovely weather, but still hardly no luck!

Mine are 9 weeks & don’t care about mealworms one bit. I cut some grapes in half and they did take to those though. I agree that at first they just don’t seem to know that it is actually something to eat. :) Oh, and my son brought them some live worms and they went crazy for those. Especially my little Ginny who is quite the huntress, lol.

Mine are 9 weeks & don’t care about mealworms one bit. I cut some grapes in half and they did take to those though. I agree that at first they just don’t seem to know that it is actually something to eat. :) Oh, and my son brought them some live worms and they went crazy for those. Especially my little Ginny who is quite the huntress, lol.

Ahh I didnt think about live worms! I might have to try that lol, they dont know what theyre missing :idunno

Back
Top Bottom