They're all together now

Knittycat

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Bay City, TX
I put my surviving banty chicken in with the large fowl today.
Pearl died last week I'm not sure what from. She was weak and gasping for air by the time I found her. Banty#2 probably had something to do with it. Banty #2 is, well, flighty isn't a strong enough word for it. She's a total and utterly feral chicken. And stupid to boot.
After finding Banty #2's food dish filled with leaves and bedding and her water jug knocked over for the 4th time in 3 days...well, it's sink or swim baby.
I'd hoped to introduce the 2 bantys together, but I seriously suspect that #2 had been knocking the food over and the water over and then keeping pearl away. When they were in the house I could correct the behavior, but I put them in an isolation pen out in the chicken run so they could get to know the LF. I figured more room would solve the problem. Guess I was wrong.

#2 is a total pest. She gets in between the chickens legs, interferes with them scratching and pecking for food, and then gets suprised when they peck at her. If she'd just leave them alone they wouldn't be so aggressive to her. What a pest. Well, she'll either learn her place, or well, she won't live long. She's a brahama banty, so she's not that much smaller than the LF. She's got more than a chance if she learns how to get along.

fl.gif

Introducing new members to the flock is always a bit stressful. Good luck to her! Guess she'd better smarten up and figure out her place, huh?
wink.png

Yeah, she was top chicken in the banty cage. Rather bully like in fact. She's not going to get away with that crap with the big girls.

Back
Top Bottom