They're driving me insane+I'm a badddd chickie mama!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Kinda a bad start to the day, considering we way overslept. I get woke up enough that my eyes weren't crossed and decide it's time to go out and deal with my broodies. I get DH to stop what he's doing and come help me. I needed to force my three broodies off their nests and get them out for a bit to stretch their legs. I also needed to remove the bottom of a nestbox (kitty litter box) from under the nest of my one broody. She's due to hatch em this week and I didn't want the chicks to get stuck between the box bottom and the side of the crate.

I have to babysit the nests while my broodies are out, because my meaties are very curious about the broodies nests.

So I get the broodies out, change their food and water, check their nests, etc. Since everything seemed to be fine and the meaties weren't paying much attention the nests, I decided to go to another building for just a minute. Outside the coop I find my adult birds being very mean to the one broody silkie, Jethro. They've previously all gotten along well. It must have been Jethro's broody 'tude that set them off. I chase the adult birds away and rescue Jethro, returning her to her crate.

I go about my business and return to the baby/broody coop. I find the one broody, a SF named Doe, standing outside her crate, screaming. My previously broody meatie, Mercy, in on Doe's nest. She was making herself very comfortable. I went to remove her, she hissed and bit me. Oh no you don't Mercy! You had your shot at broodiness!

Get everyone settled back down and head to the house. On my way I look over at my adult coop and see five of my hens circling their coop, being very loud. Their dumb chicky mama (that would be me) had let them out thru the human door this morning and closed it behind me; forgetting to open their pop door. The girls were doing their best to figure out how to get in to lay their eggs. I ran out and opened the door and they all filed in.

I'm losing my mind. What little I had to lose!
hit.gif

I'm not having a good day, either. I should be putting a coop kit together for another grow-out coop, the weather is nice for it, I NEED to get this done, and I just want to sit in the sun and watch the chickens. Filled the feeders, refreshed the waterers then pooped out. I tossed out some BOSS for the flock, then fed a few special chickens and the ducks some dry, rolled oatmeal from my hands.

Moved the two Now All Better chicken convalescents (except Yul is still bald) from the bathroom to the last available grow-out/segregation/integration coop and pen. *sigh* Scraped some poo off the roof of a low coop, where some chickens persist in roosting.

I had so many plans for today.

I feel your pain. Sounds a lot like how it's been going over here.
You gotta love the broodies, but OMG they make you CRAZY!!!
At least it's almost over for you soon. My broodies are sittin on nothing, unless I win the auction I'm bidding on, then they'll get to sit for real somewhere towards the end of ext week. That means like another month of this! Ah, but in the end, the babies are worth it...
love.gif

Well, I suppose now I can't complain. My only worry is the chickens finding the azalea plants (these are planted near a "cliff face" which falls about 3 metres onto our tennis court), which actually happened once when my motherly silkie fell off the edge and sent her 10 babies on a suicide plunge after her. Luckily they all survived but OMG!! I was so scared
fl.gif
I've also got a light sussex who I've been debating for weeks whether it's a cockerel or a pullet.
barnie.gif
It's a mean one, so I'll only be keeping it for the eggs, not the company
wink.png

Ah, and need i mention a visit from a "friend" who I don't even talk to anymore, to see my chickens? She can't tell a chicken from a duck!
roll.png
City slickers these days....
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom