They're here!! They're here!!

texasbartrambaby

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Tulia, Texas
wee.gif
Here's the new babies ... 25 plus 1 packing peanut. Everyone seems to be doing well despite my newbie stupidity .... however ...
(bursting into song) "One of these does not look like the other ....)

WHAT IS THIS ?????

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PecbSOLe7DCZXNwQkqmQlQ

She is a beautiful creamy yellow with a barely visible splotch of dark on her head ....

There are more pics on my picasa of the babies, feel free to look!

I also have another question. They were from Randall Burkey, supposedly ameracaunas (sp) but I know they are probably EE's. But hey, they were a gift from my aunt and uncle. I've looked online and I think?? I have silvers and red/browns? They were vaccinated for Merck's, but living in Texas, what else should they have?? My dh said that he remembers his moms chickies getting very sick and wants me to look into this and take care of it ASAP, doesn't want the babies sicky. Either do I!!!

I also have another question -- I am thinking of getting the cornish x's this next spring but don't know who I can get to process them in the Amarillo/Plainview area. Any suggestions??

Sorry so many questions?? And the addiction begins....
caf.gif

Last edited:
Oh, had another question for you guys --

When can you start giving them yummy buggy treats? My son has 2 bearded dragons that we buy crickets and mealworms for. Thought I could entice a few friends later on!

I've started giving them treats as young as 1 week. You many want to provide free feed chick grit for them if you give them anything other than crumble.

they all look like EE's alright. even the creamy one!

adorable! i could totally be wrong about the creamy one, but they are surely cute!
big_smile.png

what a nice gift!

Very adorable..condratulations!
smile.png

As to treats, IMHO no treats should be given to chicks this young. AT LEAST several weeks, (and I recommend longer), before they should be getting anything but their regular starter feed.

They need whats in their starter feed to get a good start, stay healthy and grow-grow-grow!

I feed the medicated starter feed, but many do not. It is a matter of personal opinion.

If you do a search on "treats" you'll get tons and tons of information.

Just my humble 2 cents,

Ma

I gave mine treats right away. They do need grit - parakeet grit from the grocery is fine. It's amazing how much they love DIRT.

Try yogurt, greens, and pet store crickets for them. Fun times with bugs!

Oh thanks you guys so much!!!! We've had a ton of fun with them so far. And I wasn't planning on giving them buggy treats as of yet, figured a month old or later. I've also read alfalfa is good for them but I'll wait a while longer.

I'm unfortunately down to 25 - we lost the little one that wasn't doing so well out of the box. I hope that is the reason why. DH has had experience with chicks when he was younger and said that this is a horrible time to raise them right now. Temps here in the Texas panhandle were down to 18 last night. Keeping lights on them though and draft free in a room of the garage. Temps are a steady 100 and they can roam all over the stock tank to get cooler if they need too. Everyone else is looking ok today. Also putting broiler booster and quick chik in the water daily. Feeding the medicated purina start and grow. The church shipped me Manna Pro medicated but we decided to keep them on the purina since that's what we started with. The Manna looks to have different medications in it. I also have flock raiser but I'll switch to that at 2 weeks?? or so. DH also told me that they need vaccines but I am looking to see which ones, when and HOW!!

DH was laughing at me because I thought he didn't want chickies. He's planning a coop for them. Such a wonderful DH. Also told me 25 chickies is NOT enough for eggs, so I am looking to hatch some pure Ameracaunas out. Want to start soon so that everyone is about the same age. I've hatched out parrot eggs for my mom before so I should be able to do my own! Been reading ... DH told me that his grandmother had 1200 chickens. 400 in each "room" and that she sold the eggs to the local grocery stores. Said that she gathered and Papa took them "to town." Those were the days!!! My DH's father told us to go out to the old barns and get the metal laying boxes - I've looked online and these are quite expensive so I am excited!!!

Anyway, sorry so long!! Thanks for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom