Things you wish you could say

On this day, 207 years ago, a ragtag group of Americans stopped the most battled hardened army of it's day on the Plains of Chalmette. They were a thrown together bunch of sailors, soldiers, pirates, indians, refugees, citizens, frontiersman, cajuns, creoles, free men of color and slaves. These men had two things in common, a deep hatred for each other, exceeded only by their hatred for the British. They held together and expelled the last invader of an American State.
It just shows what we could do if we can stick together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans

Last edited:
Like most songs, the history and geography are a little off, but yes you get the point.

I was at the battlefield today to visit old times. For years I participated as a reenactor, Musketeer, Cannon commander and lastly as the American Surgeon. I keep saying I'll go back as a participant. Maybe next year.

And this just in from the twitterverse

Anyone in Illinois????? I’ve traveled these route for a couple decades so far. Know them well! Ice is NOT fun…..
466E8A64-5E62-44D0-82A0-ABCE23652546.png

Here’s the link:

On this day, 207 years ago, a ragtag group of Americans stopped the most battled hardened army of it's day on the Plains of Chalmette. They were a thrown together bunch of sailors, soldiers, pirates, indians, refugees, citizens, frontiersman, cajuns, creoles, free men of color and slaves. These men had two things in common, a deep hatred for each other, exceeded only by their hatred for the British. They held together and expelled the last invader of an American State.
It just shows what we could do if we can stick together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans
Now while the Men were all so far away fighting for all our rights, the Women in the town could hear the sounds of gunfire not really so far away. And in order to help they congregated with the Ursuline Nuns in the Nun"s Chapel and prayed to Our Lady of Prompt Succor.
General Jackson had turned the McCarty place down the river into his headquarters and put up parapets and dug tranches. Turned out to be a good decision. (My Ancestors owned it ). As we all know once the Treaty of Ghent was ratified The Americans won.
In honor of that win the Ursuline Nuns promised Our Lady Of Prompt Succor that every January 8th, a thanksgiving mass would be said in Her honor.
This year, as they have done every January 8th, the doors of the International Shrine to Our Lady of Prompt Succor opened and High Mass was said in the little Chapel filled with people who preyed together in Thanksgiving that all the different men of our county could come together to rid American soil of an invader.

Back
Top Bottom