Things you wish you could say

Spell checkers are ubiquitous. Every device and browser has them now. Please learn how to use them, and the correct use of the "gotcha words" (here, hear, through, threw, bear, bare, etc...).
Yes, spell checkers are ubiquitous. After about the second "misspelled" word that is really correct, I go fight through the menus to turn it off and go back to my former method: mostly-good spelling habits, proofreading, and accepting that I will miss a few here and there.

For a test, I turned on the spell checker while I was typing this. I quickly found a number of words that I use regularly, that it will not recognize. This includes breed names like Wyandotte, Orpington, Bielefelder, Ameraucana, and Araucana. It doesn't like the terms homozygous and heterozygous either, or my user name, or your user name, or many of the other user names, or my own real name, or the real names of some other people I know.

It also seems to mark or unmark words randomly as I move around in the answer, adding things and editing them. So I can't even trust that fixing everything with a red underline will actually have it be fixed, as some of the underlines disappear. (It doesn't like "unmark" either.)

The most complimentary thing I can say about this spell checker is that it does accept cockerel and pullet (I have assumed that spell checkers are partly responsible for the cockatiels, pulleys, and pellets that people want identified in the gender forum.)

It is not worth my time to try to teach every new spell checker to actually recognize all the words I need to use. So I turn them off and live with the results. But even for people who do use spell checkers, if it marks too many words that are actually correct, they will miss the actual wrong words in the mess of wrongly-marked words.

So I agree that good spelling is a good thing, but I think spell checkers have big problems of their own.

Now I'm going to turn the spell checker back off, post this, and go about my day...
(I actually would like to say most of this to whoever makes spell checkers, but I don't think it would help much. I know most of the reasons they can't fix the problems. But the spell checker isn't even using a good dictionary, if it doesn't have words like "homozygous.")

After about the second "misspelled" word that is really correct, I go fight through the menus to turn it off and go back to my former method: mostly-good spelling habits, proofreading, and accepting that I will miss a few here and there.
I turned spell check off on my phone long ago. Also the thing that thinks it knows what I'm going to type.

I own all my typos. Some are spectacular. Some are spectacularly funny. :gig

Back
Top Bottom