Things you would miss about chickens

Dowie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
I'm travelling for three months, and have yet to see one chicken. I'm missing my chickens like mad. What I miss most about them is their Egg Dramas. We always have a broody, and she's always stealing the other girls eggs. The screaming and hollering and indignation could not be matched by any politician accused of corruption. This is a photo of my Queen of Angry, Button:

She's so Angry! I miss their diva ways. So, what would YOU miss if you had to be away from your chickens?

I would miss giving my chickens (and my geese) treats. They get so excited to see me and don't take their eyes off of me until they get something special to eat.

On some vacations, I have chosen bed and breakfast accommodations because they have chickens. It was great to visit other chickens, but it is still more fun to give treats to my own chickens.

Button looks mad... what'd you do to her? :p

I would miss the unconditional love, no matter what mood I'm in, no matter how aggravated with them, they never stop trying to cheer me up :)

I would miss giving my chickens (and my geese) treats. They get so excited to see me and don't take their eyes off of me until they get something special to eat.

On some vacations, I have chosen bed and breakfast accommodations because they have chickens. It was great to visit other chickens, but it is still more fun to give treats to my own chickens.
Lol! I love it. Alas, Bed and Breakfasts in London are distinctly lacking chickens. I am going to the Spitalsfield City Farm this week to hang with their chickens.

Yes, giving them treats is so fun. I still find myself portioning bits of my breakfast etc to give to the chickens, but of course, they are on the other side of the world.

RE: why is Button angry? Button is Angry because she is Broody, and she is in the mood to steal another chicken's eggs!

What I really miss is mooching around outside with them, peering at them to see what they are up to, singing to them. Each chicken has its own special song. My current favorite is for my chicken 'Wilhelmina Philhemina Filibuster Chicken'. It is a very long name, and she wear it well.

I've not had chickens for long but I would miss my afternoon sit down with the birds. When hubby gets home from work I grab a beer, head out back, and watch my birds for a little while. My youngest son enjoys coming out with me so we get a little one on one quiet time as a bonus!

It's like a form of easy meditation. I got chickens coincidentally on the same day I got shingles. I was so sick, could barely move for a month and a half. The only thing that kept me sane was sitting under a tree watching them enjoy being alive.

Today a kind lady in Hyde Park gave me some bird seed, and these tiny little blue wrens flew down onto my hand and wrapped their warm twig like feet around my fingers. I realised I miss my chickens' feet! Crazy I know - one of my chickens has feet like long pink worms.
sickbyc.gif
But another of my chickens, Wilhelmina Philhelmina Filibuster Chicken wraps her claws around my hand and lets me carry her. Her feet are always surprisingly warm and soft.

Back
Top Bottom