This is crap. I can't hardly believe what I am reading here.

Quote:
That's a pretty harsh comment!
I'm sure Canada would take ya. We let everyone in. It's not so bad. Come on over.
big_smile.png
wink.png

Seriously though, is it true that Americans aren't allowed to go anywhere?

Quote:
One way to have dual citizenship is to have US parents but be born overseas: example my cousin was born in Italy while his father was stationed there, he is a US citizen, but he can also claim he's an Italian citizen (natrualized, he was born there).

And it's really not as simple as pack up and leave. We're looking at retiring abroad (econimics, out battered IRAs go much further with a good exchange rate, so we can volenteer teach and afford to eat).

Quote:
they said it was over the size of the flag, not the flag itself... I bet that was added after all of the complaints! I'd have been sooooo mad after something like that... To spend 6 years in military service to this great nation for people to do what they want to do, only to have someone tell that poor woman she couldn't hang an American flag in her office?!?!? No way!!

Quote:
International immigration policies are typically on a quid pro quo basis: what we ask your citizens to do, you will, in turn, require of ours. This is the same around the world.

So if we make your people get a visa to enter the USA, you'll make Americans get a visa to enter yours. If we only allow a certain number of work visas, you'll make it equally difficult for Americans to get a job in your country.

I work with graduate students. The American policy of forcing them to return home upon the completion of their degree rather than permit them to become responsible members of American society (read: tax payers!!) is so ridiculous. Shouldn't we want to keep the other countries' best & brightest here in the USA? These are not migrant workers or taxi drivers. These students are the best & brightest from their home countries, come from good families with lots of money, and many want to make their lives in the USA.

Kinnip is dead on: it's nearly impossible to get a job outside of the USA unless you have some kind of "in". I'd love to go live & work in France for a few years but it's very, very expensive and really difficult. If I wanted to teach English illegally and live in a hovel, like some people I have know have done, that's one thing. But if I were to try to become a paid employee, homeowner, and tax-paying member of French society, it's next to impossible.

Quote:
That Canadians couldn't fill? That can't possibly be true anymore. I don't want to sound as though I'm poo-pooing on immigration, but right now in BC it is immigrants who are heading the construction industry. They charge less for inferior housing, (and I'm not just being bitter, the quality of these houses is common knowledge but people still buy them for the price), high density sardine style housing finished in no time. Right now during the recession they pay their employees (where fluency in Punjab is a pre-requisite) over $30 an hour for a simple labour position.
My fiance is a ticketed Carpenter with years of experience, and can't find a job that will pay him nearly what he's worth, right now he's getting paid $7 an hour less than what he was paid last lear when construction was booming.
It is the same with the roofing, siding, and drywall industry as well.
It also the same with the farming and produce industry.
Not only are immigrants fulfilling local jobs that Canadians are perfectly capable of doing, but they are doing it at such a discount and profit that it is impossible to compete with.
Also, it was recently reported that the Olympics is bringing so much immigration to BC, that single family homes are now a thing of the past, and we'll just keep squeezing people in until we burst. Immigration and the melting pot is one of the things Canada really prides itself in.
Even in the office world most of the ads I see are for Punjab speaking only, and they get $25 an hour to be a file clerk. I'll admit, it is frustrating when on the job hunt.
I was raised to have an open mind, but I sure wish I could get a $25 an hour, no experience required office job too.

Quote:
International immigration policies are typically on a quid pro quo basis: what we ask your citizens to do, you will, in turn, require of ours. This is the same around the world.

So if we make your people get a visa to enter the USA, you'll make Americans get a visa to enter yours. If we only allow a certain number of work visas, you'll make it equally difficult for Americans to get a job in your country.

I work with graduate students. The American policy of forcing them to return home upon the completion of their degree rather than permit them to become responsible members of American society (read: tax payers!!) is so ridiculous. Shouldn't we want to keep the other countries' best & brightest here in the USA? These are not migrant workers or taxi drivers. These students are the best & brightest from their home countries, come from good families with lots of money, and many want to make their lives in the USA.

Kinnip is dead on: it's nearly impossible to get a job outside of the USA unless you have some kind of "in". I'd love to go live & work in France for a few years but it's very, very expensive and really difficult. If I wanted to teach English illegally and live in a hovel, like some people I have know have done, that's one thing. But if I were to try to become a paid employee, homeowner, and tax-paying member of French society, it's next to impossible.

That's interesting, I'm not familiar with immigration when it comes to Americans immigrating to Canada.
The Visa to enter the country is interesting as well. As of recently, Canadians are now required to show a passport when crossing the border, but Americans don't have to have one to come into Canada. I was always under the impression that Americans would always be welcome in Canada, regardless, especially since we allow so many other different cultures in. My other post shows how job skill doesn't seem to matter. Immigrants come and work any old job, professional and otherwise, to the point where it is competitive.
That's just what I see in BC.
So an American couldn't just come to Canada and continue whatever skill set they had in the states? Then why are there so many other cultures coming to Canada and filling jobs?
I'm confused.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom