This is Why Hardware Cloth

I am SO GRATEFUL for BYC providing me with the wisdom to use hardware cloth prior to my coop construction, as there is no way I would have known otherwise. Did the whole shebang with washers, wood screws, all on the outside (like yours, pictured) to prevent the hardware cloth from being pushed inward by a predator. Peace of mind is knowing you've done everything to keep them safe!

For the last couple days our neighborhood has had 2 stray dogs that have either escaped from their invisible fence (there are transmitters on their collars), or been dumped. They've been harassing my chickens.

This morning they made a determined assault on the brooder.

This is why I covered the chicken wire with hardware cloth when I converted it:

View attachment 3103734View attachment 3103736View attachment 3103740View attachment 3103743

All they managed to do was to tear up the tarp and frighten the babies.

I don't know what breed they are, something medium-sized, short-legged, and terrier-ish with long, shaggy coats. I'm not a dog person so I classify them as "Those yappy things people like to baby". It doesn't have to be a big dog to do damage -- just a determined one.

Don't take chances!
My hardware cloth is exactly the same with all those bolts holding it in place. Im sorry your babies had to endure the 'monsters'! (Thats what i call the hawks that fly overhead). 'Come on girls, the monsters are here'!! 🐓❤️

I am SO GRATEFUL for BYC providing me with the wisdom to use hardware cloth prior to my coop construction, as there is no way I would have known otherwise. Did the whole shebang with washers, wood screws, all on the outside (like yours, pictured) to prevent the hardware cloth from being pushed inward by a predator. Peace of mind is knowing you've done everything to keep them safe!
Exactly!

There are lots of grades of hardware cloth. You can buy 12 gauge here in the UK.
The name for the stronger types of hardware cloth is Weldmesh. It often comes on a roll.
Not all hardware cloth, or Weldmesh fencing comes with the same hole size. It's the hole size in part that makes it difficult for predators and pests such as rats to gain access to the fenced area. Half inch square hardware cloth, or Weldmesh fencing makes it difficult for the larger predators to get their teeth around a section to bite and pull on.
A 12 gauge half inch square Weldmesh fence will keep most predators out provided the structure it's attached to is strong enough even a bear.

There are lots of grades of hardware cloth. You can buy 12 gauge here in the UK.
The name for the stronger types of hardware cloth is Weldmesh. It often comes on a roll.
Not all hardware cloth, or Weldmesh fencing comes with the same hole size. It's the hole size in part that makes it difficult for predators and pests such as rats to gain access to the fenced area. Half inch square hardware cloth, or Weldmesh fencing makes it difficult for the larger predators to get their teeth around a section to bite and pull on.
A 12 gauge half inch square Weldmesh fence will keep most predators out provided the structure it's attached to is strong enough even a bear.
I have 19 gauge, 1/2" hardware cloth, that is common around here.
I am using tek screws and staples. The staples are redundant and the tek screws are truss head, so they are about 3/8 inch wide at the top.
I have the mesh tight enough that the mesh could not be worked over the screw heads and they are place less than 12 inches apart. then a couple staples between.
I plan to check the integrity each day and add furring strips as needed.
The chickens are locked up at night in a coop with the ador door.
I am new to this, I think I have everything covered.
I might add a heavier duty fencing around the bottom three feet if there appears to be wear over time.

I agree. We had 2 dogs get into our fence backyard once and were determined to get to my hens. Throwing themselves against the hardware cloth. Thankfully it was attached well and they didn't get in because my chickens literally have chicken brains and were just standing there staring at the 2 giant pitbulls trying to get in to kill them. Not 1 ran to safety 🤦‍♀️
😂😂😂😂 Hardware cloth for the win!!!

I thought I had posted a photo and description of the wire I'm using, but I see on reviewing the thread that I haven't. It's 1"x1/2" 16 Guage welded wire. It is substantially thicker than the 19-gauge hardware cloth sold here, but still easy enough to work with. I fasten it with narrow crown staples using my battery-powered stapler. I bought it in 24" width, then built the majority of the frame to allow easy stapling without cutting for width.

Coop-Wire.jpg

I have 2x3 welded wire fence covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. It's zip tied to the metal frame of the run, and stapled to the wooden parts of the frame, and the door. DH brought home a bunch of scrap lumber from work, including pieces that could act the part of furring strips, so I used them as such.

How do I love hardware cloth? Let me count the ways: Little, Middle, Lark, Widget, Stormy, and May. And Darl, RIP.

Back
Top Bottom