This is why you should cover your feed!

:eek:
I have been pretty diligent about putting feed away and such, but ducks are so messy they have feed strewn from their feeder to the waterer and it is all over the ground. Then, this morning set down my feed cup that I carry to fill the chickens feeder and the rooster did his little side dance for a hen and knocked it to the ground. :th I live in between corn and bean fields. Welcome to the buffet!
Last year I had no issues as far as the rodents getting into the feeder and so far none either, but I have a feeling that if I am not be able to keep all of the feed cleaned up, those rodents will be feasting in no time. Plus this year I added the ducks. What was I thinking?
My BO's seem to delight in raking or slinging feed out of the chute of a feeder that's supposed to eliminate that. When they do that I put the cap on the chute, forcing them to clean up their mess if they want to eat.

I always behave. ;)

I'm great Red Dog!
You ready for that nasty white stuff?
I'll never be ready for that nasty white stuff, but I don't think that matters a whole lot. At least I've never had to swim to the mailbox.
Always behave? Could've sworn I heard different.

I recently had a rat infestarion! It was awful. Now that I waged and won the war on them, I cant believe how much feed I have. I thought the chickens were eating it all. Funny side note... there is a stray cat that hangs around the coop, sometimes inside the coop. Anyhow, I found the person who feeds and kind of looks after the cat. The guy told me he had the cat neutered and it had all its teeth removed because it was infected. I was relying on a toothless cat to hunt around my coop for 2 yrs!

Hate to tell you but a lid on a plastic container wont help much. They will chew through the bottom corners. I tried a large plastic rolling trash barrel that was too high for them to jump then found a chewed hole in bottom corner. I went to the store and bought metal lidded trash cans and sealed top handle from water entry and this works better. The trash barrel in now a scrap wood container in my shop.

Roflmbo, hubby’s already devising horrifyingly effective traps for the mice... We can’t use poison bait as we have far too much wildlife in the woods who depend on the mice for food. I’d rather keep the predators around so they can eat the furry little fockers.

You guys are making me laugh ‘til the tears fall with these stories!!

Roflmbo, hubby’s already devising horrifyingly effective traps for the mice... We can’t use poison bait as we have far too much wildlife in the woods who depend on the mice for food. I’d rather keep the predators around so they can eat the furry little fockers.

You guys are making me laugh ‘til the tears fall with these stories!!
Tell him a high powered pellet rifle will shoot holes through expensive water hoses. I learned this busting cotton rats raiding my coop. Also dont use a green hose. Looks like grass behind the rodents.

Back
Top Bottom