1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

This isn't your normal "strange" egg....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaySat, Oct 28, 2011.

1. JaySat

JaySat Hatching

Oct 28, 2011
    Hello folks!

I just found this today in one of the egg boxes. As you can see in the photo it's quite bigger than the typical egg that I placed next to it for scale. The outer "shell" is soft but you can clearly feel a hard egg inside. Any ideas? FYI, I have only four chickens that (2 Barred Rocks and 2 Black Astralops) and they are only about 6mos old and have been laying for only a month and a half. Thanks in advance for your help and/or insight!

[​IMG]

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Songster

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Open it up and show us whats inside.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have heard 1 egg within another egg. It could also be a double yolker. This is normal for hen who just start to lay. And [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Songster

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Oh yeah, [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yes, there's been a couple of egg within an egg pics on BYC. They are strange. Let us know what's inside, okay? [​IMG]

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I had a rubber egg like that when my girls 1st started laying. I couldn't bring myself to open it and chucked it. I am too sqeemish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by