This poor girl šŸ˜­

Asulyma

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
I had written about my girl Benny a few times. I never ended up knowing for sure what she had but I tube fed her for a few weeks and she finally made a comeback. Her crooked neck never fully went away. She can hold it up straight but it goes crooked again at times. She canā€™t really fly (I know they donā€™t actually like fly but she canā€™t get off the ground) so she canā€™t really defend herself. I put her in the run with her sisters but in a big crate and then I let her in the yard when I go outside. I tried reintroducing her a couple of times but it never worked. 2 days ago her crate wasnā€™t secured enough and she got out and they ganged up on her and scalped her. I was going to call the vet to have her put down but as I was telling my husband she ā€˜yelledā€™ at me. I figured that was a sign. I washed her head and put neosporin on it. She looks pretty brutal but sheā€™s eating and drinking. Any advice? This poor girl has been through so much already and sheā€™s not even 1 yet (mid March sheā€™ll be 1).

I canā€™t find any chicken vet around here at all Iā€™ve looked šŸ˜­

I currently have a girl with wry neck. She has been living inside my house for the past month and has improved a lot.
I cook her an egg in the morning so that she can absorb the Vitamin E, plus a few drops of polvisol. She has gotten so well I am able to let her outside by herself.
Agreed with Mystery, they do heal fast.
Hope this helps and your bird gets better.

She is not cooperating bc sheā€™s trying to go back to sleep, Iā€™m not sure why her eye loooks like that but this eye is normal in person. Thatā€™s food pieces on her she makes a mess eating šŸ˜… should I give her a chance or get her put to sleep? Yes sheā€™s on wrapping paper because I just ran out of peepee pads and I took her out to stretch her legs.

She really is such a character she talks all the time. If you are talking too loud while sheā€™s sleeping she yells. When you wake her up with the light she yells. When you talk softly to her she talks back/kind of purrs. I donā€™t want her to suffer though šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
Not the best pictures, but as far as I can tell, it's not terrible.

Can you get pictures?

When you say crooked neck, it makes me think Wry Neck, which needs supplement therapy. Vitamin E 400IU.

Can you get pictures?

When you say crooked neck, it makes me think Wry Neck, which needs supplement therapy. Vitamin E 400IU.
Yes I can get some pictures. I did do the vitamin e and selenium for a couple of months. It improved somewhat but never 100%. That all started in September. I think it may have been mareks because she also had to learn to walk again but Iā€™m not sure if mareks would have gotten better? It was only her they got sick and it started off as me finding her lethargic under the coop not moving much but everyone else was fine. I brought her in and she got worse before she eventually got better but never 100%.

Yes I can get some pictures. I did do the vitamin e and selenium for a couple of months. It improved somewhat but never 100%. That all started in September. I think it may have been mareks because she also had to learn to walk again but Iā€™m not sure if mareks would have gotten better? It was only her they got sick and it started off as me finding her lethargic under the coop not moving much but everyone else was fine. I brought her in and she got worse before she eventually got better but never 100%.
In rare instances Marek's infected birds will recover, but will always remain a carrier, & spread it to the rest of the flock. Even if the other's are infected, not all will show symptoms.

Improvement with the previous treatment is good.

She is not cooperating bc sheā€™s trying to go back to sleep, Iā€™m not sure why her eye loooks like that but this eye is normal in person. Thatā€™s food pieces on her she makes a mess eating šŸ˜… should I give her a chance or get her put to sleep? Yes sheā€™s on wrapping paper because I just ran out of peepee pads and I took her out to stretch her legs.

She really is such a character she talks all the time. If you are talking too loud while sheā€™s sleeping she yells. When you wake her up with the light she yells. When you talk softly to her she talks back/kind of purrs. I donā€™t want her to suffer though šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Attachments

• 06A4E643-51CE-483B-A56C-F9C6879F51B7.jpeg
    06A4E643-51CE-483B-A56C-F9C6879F51B7.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 29D2103B-4AA1-4E9C-AA5D-3962C777489D.png
    29D2103B-4AA1-4E9C-AA5D-3962C777489D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
In rare instances Marek's infected birds will recover, but will always remain a carrier, & spread it to the rest of the flock. Even if the other's are infected, not all will show symptoms.

Improvement with the previous treatment is good.
Oops I replied to myself with the pictures. I was wondering that and 3 of my girls are much older and the other 3 were almost right at the 6 month age with her so I was thinking maybe she was just the unlucky one that showed symptoms.

Oops I replied to myself with the pictures. I was wondering that and 3 of my girls are much older and the other 3 were almost right at the 6 month age with her so I was thinking maybe she was just the unlucky one that showed symptoms.
You can always get your birds tested for Marek's Disease at a lab. I think there's a couple ways, but don't remember what other option there was. I know necropsy is one.

You can always get your birds tested for Marek's Disease at a lab. I think there's a couple ways, but don't remember what other option there was. I know necropsy is one.
Thank you I will do this. I was thinking of getting 2 more docile breeds this spring so she can have her own flock but if she does have mareks could I put vaccinated birds with her do you know?

Back
Top Bottom