This was sold to me as a Black Marans - but is that a breed alone?

sumu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012

OK - so obviously not a Copper, but that's the only kind I have heard of. He is beautiful and is a fabulous rooster. He guards his hens carefully, stands on the nest when they go out, herds them in with his wing if they stray too far - he is great. However, I can't keep him since I am not allowed to keep city roosters and was told by a prospective buyer (who dropped out) that he was an odd color, not enough feathers on his legs and could not be a Copper. OK, so if I am listing him on Craigslist - what do I say he is? Oh, and the eggs are dark brown almost reddish. Thanks for any clues!

is it me or his there a red huge to his neck feathers?? marans should have light feathering on the legs and outside toe, but this varies among birds. there is a black marans just like there's a blue and a blue copper marans.

no your not seeing things I see the red to...i'm thinking he may have something else mixed in him besides marans

OK - so obviously not a Copper, but that's the only kind I have heard of. He is beautiful and is a fabulous rooster. He guards his hens carefully, stands on the nest when they go out, herds them in with his wing if they stray too far - he is great. However, I can't keep him since I am not allowed to keep city roosters and was told by a prospective buyer (who dropped out) that he was an odd color, not enough feathers on his legs and could not be a Copper. OK, so if I am listing him on Craigslist - what do I say he is?
Oh, and the eggs are dark brown almost reddish. Thanks for any clues!
Roosters don't lay any eggs. And the eggs his hens lay won't be affected by his colour, only his daughters eggs.

I realize roosters don't lay eggs. He and the hens are from the same batch is what I meant.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom