Thought I was gonna have a freezer full of deer meat...........

I would take a dead deer for meat if it were in edible condition.
I have a small farm in one of the more rural areas in my state and have a bulletin board in our school room that we keep track of the animal sightings we have. We have lived here since Feb. of this year and have had well over 80 deer sightings on our property. We have a herd of 15+ that frequently cross through our place because we have water back in our woods.
Now, before I moved out here I had never seen a deer other than on TV. The first few times I was amazed. They are beautiful, graceful creatures. Even if they do destroy alot of people's landscaping.
I watched a doe who visits every afternoon get bigger and bigger and then disappear and come back two weeks later with twin fawns, really neat.

My aunt had her car totaled by a doe that ran into her car in a busy area of my state. She was lucky she didn't get killed in the process, the deer must have been in mid leap when her car pulled even with it and it landed on her hood, both front legs going through the windsheild where the doe got stuck and thrashed in panic until she bled to death.

I've been trying to figure out what I have to do to be able to hunt on my own land (bow hunting) for next year and the limits, etc. I guess I just need to get a hunting liscense
hu.gif

But no, you're not alone. I know many people who would have tried to take the meat.

PineBurrowPeeps
Here in MO, if you own land, you are eligible for landowner tags, everyone that lives in your house are. They are free but you still have to go pick them up from walmart or wherever you get tags. You tag the deer just like you do if you buy tags to hunt somewhere else. You can ONLY hunt on your own property, but hey, that is where we hunt anyway. It is good for turkey, and deer and bow hunting or rifle.

Check it out with your conservation department, I bet they do this too.

Yeah, PC, I was sitting there thinking there is NO WAY I can clean this thing without some help. Was going to do it with my dad on the phone the whole time.
smile.png
Just like with chickens, my biggest fear is that I would rupture the guts or something and ruin the meat. As for the squirell....next time, GRAB IT!!!!!!
smile.png
I know it sounds creepy to eat a fluffy rat, but it really is wonderful.
smile.png

JMajors....oh that would be cool. I keep wishing I had a really good source of deer meat. I have managed to find a humane source for all of the meat we consume though, which helps.
smile.png

You know, I can understand seeing this one left since he was so badly damaged but some are perfect.....just won't take one unless I know how long ago it was hit. Even if the meat did end up being tough, it is stew weather.
smile.png

Last edited:
Another Wisconsin story...

When I was living there, people used to take their nice car and store it in a garage for the winter. Then they would go buy a "winter beater"...something big and heavy like an old Caddy...HOPING they would hit a deer :p

JMajors is right depending on were the deer was hit etc. has a lot to to with how much meat can be taken. My old neighbor found out about a list he could be put on and called if a deer was hit and reported to police right after the accident. He was able to get some meat at times.

So deer are in my yard all the time. I used to have flowers pots on the porch but they got eaten by what I thought was rabbits so I hung baskets in the trees only to see the deer eating them. They come into the barn - especially this time of year - to eat the hay and grain. If I hit them with a car or truck or baseball bat is that legal. The Sherriff said I could shoot predators on my property. Could a deer be a predator?

I would keep a deer if I hit it but here in Ohio you must report it to the game people.
Up in and around Cleveland, Ohio the police give you a $150 ticket for failure to control. Imagine that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom