Thoughts on feeding idea...

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Yesterday, I took my geese off of free range for the first time since I got them about two years ago, and they are in a coop and run setup now. This is just for the wintertime (as we have had predator problems so far), and mating season to keep everyone safe. My geese have been very self reliant. I haven't had to feed them that much, a little corn in the morning and they may get a little chicken feed, but other than that no regular feeding from me. They look great. However, I know that they will need more feeding now that they are put up. I was thinking of a basic feed mix like this:

2 pt. Scratch Grains
1 pt. Sunflower seeds
1 pt. Alfalfa pellets (are these okay for geese?)
1 pt. Layer pellets

Then a bit of grass hay for them to pick at too.

Does this sound okay?

I'm not a goose expert but without green grass they tend to 'go light' and can die. They're primarily grazers, usually, though some people manage to keep them alive on other stuff. Someone who knows will no doubt be able to help. Best wishes.

Yesterday, I took my geese off of free range for the first time since I got them about two years ago, and they are in a coop and run setup now. This is just for the wintertime (as we have had predator problems so far), and mating season to keep everyone safe. My geese have been very self reliant. I haven't had to feed them that much, a little corn in the morning and they may get a little chicken feed, but other than that no regular feeding from me. They look great. However, I know that they will need more feeding now that they are put up. I was thinking of a basic feed mix like this:

2 pt. Scratch Grains
1 pt. Sunflower seeds
1 pt. Alfalfa pellets (are these okay for geese?)
1 pt. Layer pellets

Then a bit of grass hay for them to pick at too.

Does this sound okay?
I´m not an expert either, and I can´t comment on keeping geese in during the winter, as mine stay out the whole time on grass. I do know they love grass, and need it, at least 80 - 90% of their diet ought to be grass. For this reason alone your geese are likely to look great. Have you already lost geese to predators? Could you let them out to graze while you´re stood watching them? Take your lap-top out there, or something? They´ll need greens. Look up Ruru, she posts on the sebastopol thread, she feeds her geese awhole assortment of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom