Thoughts on what is up with this chicken?

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
TRYING to get the pix I managed to get of this chicken.She is 1 of 12 I had gotten from woman that stopped and wanted me to take these chickens(live/learn- will never do that again without EXTREME QUESTIONING) and i have since slaughtered the other 11. This is sally-1 she didn't want me to kill(i may kill sally soon if i find out this is something horrid) sally is eating,drinking ok but has the skin on her head that looks like comb/wattles material(?) and its on her butt too. any thoughts?bottom pic too dark-couldn't delete but butt skin is red/thick like on head.

Wow--I'm not sure what that is. And is it just the camera, or is her eye very dull and cloudy, too? It almost looks fungal. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you.

The pictures look to me like she has been the roosters 'best gal' to me. I have a hen with the feathers picked off her head like that and looked the same. most of mine have heads like that in fact ( under the feathers). is she molting? any other cause for alarm? mites, etc?

Have had her for 2+ wks in her own penned in area(altho other chickens CAN/DO jump 6' fence to get in with her) and she has had NO exposure to roos/cockerels in months. Her eyes are not cloudy in "real life".(ancient digital) Just curious if someone recognizes this. And I guess I haven't looked at the skin under my hens feathers(on their faces anyhoo) so maybe that IS a possibility. Hate to kill her if shes just suffering from old age. Shes been dusted with commercial insecticide and most rexcently(this a.m.) with DE. shes also eaten some DE. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom