Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Here's my brooder so far. 2 more still in the incubator. One who hasn't fluffed and isn't walking yet, and the wrong end pipper still in the egg with yolk to absorb.

I can't believe how fast they grow. The big one is the one that hatched yesterday. He was the same size as the little guy in front of him then.

Hey all! Hate to barge into the thread being a newbie, but I've been lurking here while I've been reading up on hatching ducks!

I picked up my hatching eggs last night and the incy is warming up as I type. Let's make sure I've got this right:

Pointed end down, turned at least three times daily. 99.5 degrees or thereabouts?

Hubs bought me a Hovabator 1588 with turner for Christmas, supposed to be automatically regulated. Comments, thoughts, anything I'm forgetting?

My friend slipped me some chicken eggs with the duck eggs. Guess that means I'm set up for a staggered hatch nightmare this first time around! I've likely got mostly pure runners with one or two Welsh Harlequin/Runner crosses.

Oh my gosh they're precious!
Here's my brooder so far. 2 more still in the incubator. One who hasn't fluffed and isn't walking yet, and the wrong end pipper still in the egg with yolk to absorb.

I can't believe how fast they grow. The big one is the one that hatched yesterday. He was the same size as the little guy in front of him then.

Hey Goin Quackrrs! Welcom to BYC! Sounds like you've done your homework. Stick around here and you'll get a TON of support.

Hey all! Hate to barge into the thread being a newbie, but I've been lurking here while I've been reading up on hatching ducks!

I picked up my hatching eggs last night and the incy is warming up as I type. Let's make sure I've got this right:

Pointed end down, turned at least three times daily. 99.5 degrees or thereabouts?

Hubs bought me a Hovabator 1588 with turner for Christmas, supposed to be automatically regulated. Comments, thoughts, anything I'm forgetting?

My friend slipped me some chicken eggs with the duck eggs. Guess that means I'm set up for a staggered hatch nightmare this first time around! I've likely got mostly pure runners with one or two Welsh Harlequin/Runner crosses.

If I disappear it's because I fell asleep. LOL. I'm a zombie right now, but the 3 yr old had a bad dream.
barnie.gif

Oh I'm sorry, she had "a bad dweem bout the hawk."

She's obsessed with hawks since I'm always watching for them out the window.

Thanks for the welcome QJ!

Now that the incy is at temp and the eggs are in, I'm totally second-guessing everything! Where does the thermometer go? On top of the eggs? Eggs are in the turner.

Is 85% humidity too much? When do I pull the plug out of the top?
I'm either paranoid and showing it... or I'm making a huge rookie mistake and hopefully someone will set me straight! *auuuuuuggggggh*
barnie.gif

A friend of mine offered to loan me a bator last summer and I declined because I'm actually petrified of exploding eggs or other terrible things. But I have the duckling bug and it's the only way I'm going to get ducklings again short of sneaking them in and trying to hide them.

Just wish my own girls would get to laying again. The only reason my friend and my bosses at the farm have eggs is because they light their duck house. I was told not to light them the first year because if you push new layers too hard, you'll get prolapses and other ugliness. I'm not keen on any more ducky hospital time than absolutely necessary. I've already had a pekin with a bum leg and a swedish drake with a respiratory infection. I need a break from adult ducks in the bathtub!

Last edited:

Now that the incy is at temp and the eggs are in, I'm totally second-guessing everything! Where does the thermometer go? On top of the eggs? Eggs are in the turner.

I'm either paranoid and showing it... or I'm making a huge rookie mistake and hopefully someone will set me straight! *auuuuuuggggggh*
barnie.gif

A friend of mine offered to loan me a bator last summer and I declined because I'm actually petrified of exploding eggs or other terrible things. But I have the duckling bug and it's the only way I'm going to get ducklings again short of sneaking them in and trying to hide them.

Just wish my own girls would get to laying again. The only reason my friend and my bosses at the farm have eggs is because they light their duck house. I was told not to light them the first year because if you push new layers too hard, you'll get prolapses and other ugliness. I'm not keen on any more ducky hospital time than absolutely necessary. I've already had a pekin with a bum leg and a swedish drake with a respiratory infection. I need a break from adult ducks in the bathtub!

Hi Goin Quackrrs.
welcome-byc.gif
Since I appear to be the only one on right now (us Pacific time zone people) I'll try to help. I've never hatched ducks, but have been following in case I get the chance some time. 85% humidity sounds pretty high, but since you just started, you have time to adjust. Did you check your humdity gage before starting? I think most of them try to keep it about 50% - 60% before lockdown. I have a LG which has two plugs. I take one out for the first 18 days (chicken eggs) and then take the 2nd one out during lockdown, but I don't know about your brand. Also, I lay the thermometer (glass tube type on plastic card that came with incubator) on top of eggs, and try to keep it at 99.5%. Tomorrow SM, QJ etc. can give you more help on the duck eggs. Good luck! (And don't stress, just enjoy yourself, everyone is very helpful here.)

So I got all these duck eggs from Skillswife, and they all candled well but the air cells seem big to me. When do you start misting your duck eggs, and when do you bump humidity for lockdown? I think I am going to set up a dedicated Hatcher for these guys. I only ever had one duck egg before and I did manage to hatch it. Gave it to my neighbor, she adores it. Even got him a buddy.:)

barnie.gif

85 is probably too high, but don't worry not a biggie. Keep it around 50-65 for incubation, 70-85 for hatching. Welcome, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom